Goode Carbon Fiber Skis

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Grizzly Adams

Goode Carbon Fiber Skis

Post by Grizzly Adams »

So it turns out Goode is making alpine skis entirely out of carbon fiber (and lots of them). I had no idea this was going on (or was even possible).
http://www.goode.com/skiconstruction.htm

Has anyone ever ridden them / deconstructed them? I'd be curious about damping with an entirely carbon fiber construction. I hadn't even seen them until now and the concept came as quite a shock to me. Some fatties in there too... interesting Has anyone toyed around with the idea of building an entirely carbon or glass ski?
Its a good thing cold smoke doesn't give you cancer.
Yuki_otoko

Post by Yuki_otoko »

That looks like an interesting construction
- carbon top and bottom
- core made of individual strips of carbon between what might be a solid foam

Above the core (and between the top sheet of carbon), is this more carbon or a layer of foam?

With the vertical carbon strips down the core, wouldnt it make these skis quite stiff? If it was a layer of foam between the core and top layer, this could add some dampening.

Whether or not Im close, its has given me a few ideas of different core construction. Ive had an idea of bevelling a few stringers at 45 degrees, then adding carbon between the stringers. At 45 degree it wouldnt add too much stiffness down the board, but a bit to the torsional stiffness.

Sorry to have gone of on a tangent. Id like to know more about these skis. Thanks for sharing
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

I just read through the patent. http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/57596 ... text.html
Pretty interesting. The core is patented as anything with carbon fiber strips running longitudinally. fir, foam, aspen, birch, etc....

I think the most interesting part of the construction is that they are sealing the core and curing it before applying the carbon fiber wrap. Then they are using a flexible epoxy to adhere the carbon fiber to the core. This is supposed to allow the core to flex independent of the carbon shell.

I would sure like to have a snowboard that weighed 1/2 of what my lib longboard weighs.
Wannabebuilder

Post by Wannabebuilder »

I have hand flexed them and they have a weird flex. that is all and not very helpful.
Cornbiscut

Post by Cornbiscut »

a couple years ago they advertised the carbon skis in alot of magazines and trade shows and I have never seen anyone actually skiing on them.

That must say something, although I have never skied on a pair.
Grizzly Adams

Post by Grizzly Adams »

After examining the prices on some of these boards from a company that hasn't been building skis for very long, I think the reason we haven't seen these things around is cause only wealthy socialites and lottery winners can afford them. I can only presume that most of these things can be easily found in 5 car garages when they aren't making their yearly sojourns to the Vail groomer scene. That said, I'd still like to demo a pair. Wouldn't mind touring on a feather either.
jeff@shaggys

Post by jeff@shaggys »

They've actually been building skis for a while, just really concentrating on poles, mr goode built a lot of water skis too. A friend of mines dad built skis with him at least 20yrs ago. the skis are very torsionally stiff and maybe half the weight of a regular ski.
skishaggys.com
Grizzly Adams

Post by Grizzly Adams »

check out what just popped up on tgr
"whats inside a (broken) goode?"
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/show ... p?t=128736
Wannabebuilder

Post by Wannabebuilder »

You beat me to it.

Kevin6q

Post by Kevin6q »

Interesting photo. It looks like the ski failed in compression. The core also looks like Dow pink foam which also has horrible compression strength. I've not looked at the patent (I'm a dial up prisoner) to see the layup of the vertical ribs but unless they are uni core, tip to tail, with a 90 wrap , top to base, they will have the same buckling issue shown in the photo. What many do not realize is carbon is strongest in tension and worse than FG in compression strength. To make stiffer flex skis, Uni carbon should go on the base side of things and use Uni glass on top of the core. This will yield a stiff ski that is torsionally poor and less likely to fail when the tips and tails are brought together. Adding a layer of bia carbon top and bottom will add the torsional properties. The best use of materials for handling compressive forces is uni S-glass.
davide

Post by davide »

The guy who broke the ski in the picture, got the ski stucked under a tree in the snow, fell forward and the binding did not release. Any other skis would have failed.

I suppose carbon stingers resist to compressive and tensile forces from the top and bottom layers. Foam is used only as filling material.

Look at a old posts:
http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... t=foam+ski
http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... =3310#3310
Mikkelsen

Post by Mikkelsen »

I picked up a pair of Goode skis and would be willing to part with them if anyone is interested. shoot me a pm. Good says they are 183cm, but I think they are more like 185. Dimensions, 120-91-102. Has G3 binding but I can't get one of the cartriges to spin for adjustment. It's rusted. It is an older model with pointed tips, not the round tips like most skis now days. I probably should not post this on Materials and supplies but I knew you guys might me interested.