11.5mm x 5mm Insert Group Buy

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

krp8128

11.5mm x 5mm Insert Group Buy

Post by krp8128 »

I'm in contact with David @ Camax tool. He prefers to sell the inserts based on a "lot charge" basis, starting at a $40 fee. I only need about 36 at the most right now though.

Once I hear back from him about how many I get for $40 who wants to split the order with me?

-Kyle
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Brass or stainless?
Self cutting to go in from top or flanged to fit in from below the core below?
I ordered some from ebay brass self tapping corse wood thread 30 shipped for $15.00
The are m6 12.5 mm long so I will have to grind. size 3 posidriver screws fit it I hope.
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

Stainless steel, drill and insert from the bottom of the core. They are threaded for M5 screws.
KevyWevy

Post by KevyWevy »

i might be interested. but how do you guys determine the thickness to use for you cores? all of the skis i have are somewhere around 13mm under boot and i have yet to decide how thick the first skis i build will be.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

getting inserts the same thickness as your core is probably a good rule of thumb.

Too bad you guys need big inserts like that. I just ordered about 300 m6 snowboard inserts, and he would have sold me 20 no problem.
Doug
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

knightsofnii wrote:getting inserts the same thickness as your core is probably a good rule of thumb.

Too bad you guys need big inserts like that. I just ordered about 300 m6 snowboard inserts, and he would have sold me 20 no problem.
wtf

he told me he'd rather just do a bulk price. 24 would be perfect for me.

What height m6?
KevyWevy

Post by KevyWevy »

hey guys. i don't know if this will work for you guys with your telle bindings, but im putting inserts into my skis for alpine bindings, so bolt size and thread pitch wasn't a huge problem, i was pretty open to different sizes.

but http://www.mcmaster.com/ has inserts. just type threaded inserts into the search section. they have a few different sizes and they're only like $12 for a pack of 100 !!!!