Epoxy

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

originskis

Epoxy

Post by originskis »

i've looked at QCM and some other websites for epoxy and was wondering what others have used. As well, how do you purchase the epoxy on QCM?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I have used Tap Plastics epoxy, Fiberlay epoxy, and QCM.

QCM is by far my favorite for skis, mainly for the quick cure time when heated.

You need to call them to order.
KevyWevy

Post by KevyWevy »

yeah, but the QCM epoxy we've been using is viscous as syrup on an early February morning in northern Alberta
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

we're using Sicomin SR8500 resin with SZ8525 hardener. heated cures at 180F in about 20min.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

KevyWevy wrote:yeah, but the QCM epoxy we've been using is viscous as syrup on an early February morning in northern Alberta
True story.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

same thing with the sicomin...but a single hotplate and some water in our shop take care of it (also eliminates all the bubbles!).
originskis

Post by originskis »

how much would it cost on average to get enough epoxy for a pair of skis?
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

You can get single kits from snowboardmaterials.com for $29. Shipping is usually expensive though. The QCM I get works out to $20 a pair for 5 pair worth, one gallon resin and a quart of hardener.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

assuming we use about 750grams of epoxy for one snowboard, we get 20 boards out of a 15kg package, which costs us about 260 EUR incl. shipping (200,- without shipping...mind that we bought quite a bit of fibreglass at the same time, so i guess shipping for just the epoxy would be cheaper).

so the epoxy for one board is about 10-13 EUR.
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

My god 750 grams of expoxy a board? Without getting into detail you dont want to divuldge, how many layers do you have?

We use aprox 260gramms expoxy and the appropriate hardener (around 70g) per board
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

ok, that was just guesswork...i got the numbers of the single board kit (1kg) sold at snowboardmaterials.
we havent pressed any boards yet, so i'll update those figures by the end of next week.
but 330g sounds good...that'd cut the costs in half! (we'll be just using one layer of 21oz glass plus the standard stuff)
originskis

Post by originskis »

does QCM have a minimum quantity on orders? for now im only thinking about getting a gallon of resin and a quart of hardener.
redbull

Post by redbull »

QCM allows you to order gallons and quarts. Just email them and they will send you the pricing... obviously cheaper when you order more.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

we use the QCM EMV0043resin with ECA 408hardner. Regarding the viscosity, the resin is really thick, the hardner is like water, mixed together its pretty fluid much like a marine epoxy would be. This combo only works with heat (~180F), and it was recommended to cure for 45minutes @ temp but we've found it takes a bit longer due to ramping up temps, etc.

The results? amazing, though i'm wondering about the thicker hardners, wondering if i'd get more strength out of a more medium viscosity result. Like i said the viscosity of the resin drops a bit when combined with the super fluid hardner. The hardner actually starts vaporizing when I open the can, and is very corrosive on its own.

Speak with Roy @ QCM about your needs, and he will recommend the best formula for YOU, because they have many
Doug
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

knightsofnii wrote:
Speak with Roy @ QCM about your needs, and he will recommend the best formula for YOU, because they have many
Just an FYI for those who might be calling QCM, but Roy passed away awhile ago now. We called up asking to speak with him only to find that out. Total bummer.

QCM = awesome though. 0043 + 0032 here at ON3P...