carbon airex as core?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

summitskier

carbon airex as core?

Post by summitskier »

I am thinking of trying to lay this up in my core to replace an inch of wood. Vertically so that the carbon is next to the wood. Any thoughts on strenrth stiffness and weight? Has anyone ever sent carbon through their planer?

http://www.dragonplate.com/ecart/categories.asp?cID=100
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

Adding any of this stuff in your core sandwich is a mistake. The edges of those carbon sheets will tear the snot out of your planar knives. Also the foam will create a totally weak zone in the middle of your ski core.

Others here have put foam in their ski cores with catastrophic results.

These panels are best used for other applications, they do not belong in a ski or snowboard.

-S
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

^. Although, I'm making a skeleton core "frame" out of poplar and filling it with _______. fill in the blank, haha. But not that stuff.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

I agree with Shif. Its a bad idea. You would be creating expensive weak points with no real advantages.
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

summitskier,

What are you trying to achieve by adding this to your core? I can't offer a detail design analysis, but I can give some tips and advise regarding these products. I have "inside" info....
summitskier

Post by summitskier »

i am trying to get a lighter but still stiff ski.
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

summitskier wrote:i am trying to get a lighter but still stiff ski.
My advise is to make a very thin core and add unidirectional carbon fiber above AND below the core, along with the usual triaxial or biaxial glass fabric. The carbon will add significant "pop" to the ski.

Here is a great unicarbon resource:
http://www.sollercomposites.com/composi ... abric.html
Buy the widest material and cut it into strips of your desired width using a straight edge and razor knife. This 8.9 oz material is very nice to work with.
-S
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

Shif speaks the truth, this is the best use of carbon to add stiffness.

The orientation of the carbon used in the airex dragonplate will offer minimal, if any, stiffness.