Inserts (repeat topic)

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

hafte

Post by hafte »

That's great!! I'm in for 100. PM me and let me know when where and how to pay.

G-man no wonder your press loooks so good. I have most of a cabinet shop, but some heavier machine tools would be nice to have at times. I can understand the per unit cost. This first 6- 8 snow sliding devices are running almost as much as off the shelf stuff with all of the tooling up costs.

Hafte
Bambi

Post by Bambi »

OK so the Guys at CAMAX will do us a run of 2500. They said that the price would be approximately 25cents per part. They also said that the turn around would be approximately 3 weeks.

In the spirit of making this happen I am willing to get 500.

I also have:

G-Man - 400
ML_reed - 200
Hafte - 100

That puts us halfway. If we can up the number a little or there are a couple more people who want 'in' then we can do it....

Do note that if you put in the same number of parts as K2 then you need 24 for a pair of skis. That means that 100 only covers 4 pairs. Go on splash out - you'll spend far more on bindings if you don't!
hafte

Post by hafte »

OK I'll go 200, but hamerheads only take 12 per pair not counting the heel piece, which I don't plan to do, and i'm setting 16 per for some adjustability. Plus my wife may kick my ass for doing this anyway.

Thanks for the buy Bambi

Hafte
G-man

Post by G-man »

Good work Bambi. What length are we talking? Does the whole batch of 2500 have to be the same length? If the length can vary, I'd get 400 @ 12mm, 200 @ 10mm, and 200 @ 8mm. I appreciate you doing all this legwork and don't intend to increase the chore by having you make a bunch of phone calls to CAMAX with new questions. I'm in no real hurry to get the answer to the above questions, so feel free to save them until you need to call them for other reasons. Thanks

G-man
Buuk

Post by Buuk »

Great that you are arranging a deal with CAMAX!
I would like to have 200 pieces of M5 at 12 mm height (or maybe 10 mm, I'm not sure yet).

Buuk
Make things as simple as possible, but not too simple
Alex

Post by Alex »

I'm interested in 100 pieces (10mm) if we can have a reasonable shipping price. As i'm in Germany maybe we can combine our orders Buuk (shipping to Europe together).
Buuk

Post by Buuk »

That would be fine! I did also contact our European supplier, but no reaction yet. I asked them for M5 inserts of 10 - 12 mm high. I think their minimum order will be less than 2500. Hope to know more soon!

Buuk
Make things as simple as possible, but not too simple
Bambi

Post by Bambi »

OK,

I give in I have kicked things off with CAMAX. They are going to try some tests by mid way through next week to see if they can change the cores on some of their existing equipment.

Once they have that sorted they can give a more accurate assessment of delivery time.

For 12mm M5 (this seems to be what most people want) the price is going to be 28 cents per part.

I am going to have a shed load of these things (about 1500!) sat in my bedroom

B.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Hey Bambi,

Does CAMAX require that the whole run be of the same length (12mm)? If they do, I'll take 500 of them, but because I'll need to shorten a lot of them up, I'll also need to order some extra magnetic caps. If the inserts can be of differing lengths, I'd take 800 (400 @ 12mm, 200 @ 10mm, 200 @ 8mm). If it's easier for you, I can talk with David at CAMAX and let him know that I'm part of the M5 order, send him payment, and have him send my portion directly to me (saves time and double shipping.. much less hassle for you). It's up to you how you want to handle it... just let me know (PM if you like... or we can chat on the phone). Thanks much.

G-man
Bambi

Post by Bambi »

I didn't ask David about different lengths (I had assumed that would be hard to do for these small volumes). I will ask what is feasible here and what is feasible for the shipping options.

Regarding the caps you can take them off, machine the insert down and put them back on - they are only sticky backed.

B.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Sounds good. Thanks again.

G-man
Bambi

Post by Bambi »

OK:

Dividing the order up between us - that is fine, but we will all need to pay in advance of orders being sent out.

Different lengths are possible, but at a cost. Each length requires a core rod to be made, and in addition there is a change over time associated with changing these core rods. This could have an impact of the order 5c per size change.

Bottom line we need to give a couple of order options for CAMAX to quote against.

I suggest:

Option 1: - 12mm
Option 2: - 12 & 10mm (1500 / 1000)

Given that CAMAX have some 7mm parts, custom 8mm parts seems like a bit of an expensive luxury!

Do people agree with the above options?
I think that it would be a bit unfair on CAMAX to get them to quote against lots of different options - they are already putting themselves out.

B.
MLReed05

Post by MLReed05 »

Option 1 works for me
G-man

Post by G-man »

Busy day for you Bambi. Good work. Option 2 would be preferral to me, but I can easily go with either option. Five cents more for a shorter insert is dirt cheap compared to the time that it would take to shorten an insert myself, but like you suggest, it's important for this to be as hassle-free as possible for CAMAX (we may want to do this again in the future). I'm just real happy to be getting some M5's. So, if option 1 works for everyone else, I'm in for 500. If, for some reason, option 2 becomes the the chosen option, I'll take 400 @ 12mm and 300 @ 10mm.

Thanks again,

G-man
hafte

Post by hafte »

Option one will work fine for me. Let me know where to send money.