Short inserts

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

IslandRider

Short inserts

Post by IslandRider »

Anyone know where to find inserts shorter than 7mm? Is it not typical to use inserts for the middle clips on splitboards? Or the touring attachment mounting points and heel riser mounts? Any way to add that hardware without drilling holes in the base? Can you mount from the top with screws like ski bindings?
Sotto

Post by Sotto »

you could use binding binding freedom inserts. I have them in my skis they work well.

http://www.bindingfreedom.com/
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

i could send ya a few!
IslandRider

Post by IslandRider »

How long are those binding freedom inserts? Is there any difference between those and regular inserts like e-zlok or stuff that fastenal lists for $0.40 a piece?

Dtrain I may take you up on that if I can't find anything local. Important part of the question has been answered tho, I've got the core half machined on the table. Sounds like I can cut holes for binding inserts and get on with the show and worry about split hardware once its pressed.

Thanks guys
FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

Miller has some real short ones...
IslandRider

Post by IslandRider »

Ya I thought I'd seen shorter ones there but they're only listing 8mm and 10mm now. Just sent them an email.
IslandRider

Post by IslandRider »

No dice at Miller. May try to make some out of aluminum for the clips. Shorter than ~5.5mm seems to be hard to find.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

why 5.5mm?

try lindsay at snowboard materials?
Doug
IslandRider

Post by IslandRider »

I want to put inserts in for the clips on a split rather than cutting through the base. Core gets real thin in that area. Snowboard materials carries down to 5.5 tall, and need $40 to ship $20 worth of inserts to Canada. I've contacted the manufacturer so we'll see where that goes. A local builder has offered to send me some 5.8mm ones (which is dded rad, as an aside to this whole conversation) that I may be able to grind down a bit or shim on the top side. If that doesn't work I'll cut a few out of some 1/8 or 3/16 aluminum on the router and never build another split again. Steel would be much better though.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Why don't you grind down the ones you have?
IslandRider

Post by IslandRider »

Definitely an option, just would rather find something to drop in the hole.
falls

Post by falls »

binding freedom inserts need 9.5mm depth minimum to place in a core. they're made for skis
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

I bought a bunch of all Miller had about a year ago. They offered 5 different sizes at that time. I have ~ 100ea size. Height ranging from small to large is 5.93mm, 9.2mm, 9.75mm, 10.78mm, and 11.72mm.

If you want a handful of those 5.93mm ones let me know!

IslandRider

Post by IslandRider »

FigmentOriginal wrote: If you want a handful of those 5.93mm ones let me know!
Hey thanks man. I've got some coming from a local on here to get me by for now. I've also tracked down the manufacturer, and they're available .200 and up in M6 so I should be good to go.