Dimensional bamboo?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

RYM Experimentals

Dimensional bamboo?

Post by RYM Experimentals »

Anyone know where I can get dimensional bamboo for cores in the Seattle area? I just found a place in Oregon that sells dimensional bamboo in 1/8" thickness and sent them an email so that may pan out (and Ill let you know if it does) but if there is something local that I'm not finding, please share.

-Thanks, Don
RYM Experimentals

Post by RYM Experimentals »

So I found a guy that makes 1/2" thick by 13" wide by 97" long vertically laminated bamboo core blanks down in Oregon. Im going to order up a couple and give them a try. Ill report back once I have them in hand and start working with them. Here's the website...

www.nwbamboo.com

Stay tuned!
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

floor boards work fine
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

gozaimaas wrote:floor boards work fine
Yes, but unfortunately most of the online resources for six foot length vertically laminated bamboo flooring have dried up. Seems most of them were offering 5/8” x 3.75” x 75” planks, twelve per carton, but when you call to ask for a stock check they say not available.
One reseller remains, Cali Bamboo. Their product is six inches wide, eight boards per carton. I just got some and plan to rip each piece into 2” and 4” widths. Then glue two 2” parts together to yield twelve ski cores per carton. I typically add poplar on both sides to increase core width where needed.

http://www.calibamboo.com/bamboo-floori ... plank.html
Ask for David, he is into ski building: 858.799.0654

Cheers,
-S
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Did you check with Urbanata?
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

SHIF wrote:

Yes, but unfortunately most of the online resources for six foot length vertically laminated bamboo flooring have dried up. Seems most of them were offering 5/8” x 3.75” x 75” planks, twelve per carton, but when you call to ask for a stock check they say not available.
One reseller remains, Cali Bamboo. Their product is six inches wide, eight boards per carton. I just got some and plan to rip each piece into 2” and 4” widths. Then glue two 2” parts together to yield twelve ski cores per carton. I typically add poplar on both sides to increase core width where needed.

http://www.calibamboo.com/bamboo-floori ... plank.html
Ask for David, he is into ski building: 858.799.0654

Cheers,
-S
How do you deal with that 10 coat finish? That stuff is a bitch on tools.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

drum sander knocks it back real fast
falls

Post by falls »

Hand held belt sander with 40 grit belt works ok too. A bit more labour than the drum sander.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

Dr. Delam wrote:...How do you deal with that 10 coat finish? That stuff is a bitch on tools.
It comes off in the planer when I'm flattening the glued-up core assembly, including the sidewall blocks. The bamboo itself destroys planer knives, very tough stuff and full of silica I suppose.

-S