Snowboard inserts

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

stormyclouds

Snowboard inserts

Post by stormyclouds »

Need some 6.5mm magnetic cap snowboard inserts. Can anyone help? My searches have turned up empty. Thanks!
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

Why not just use 5mm and insert them 1/2 mm deeper.
If you are worrried about indents in the base, then fill the gaps with .5mm veneer or something.
Guess if you are using the inserts as anchors to lock your base to your core in place, you will have 2 inserts 1/2 mm too deep, which shouldn't be a big problem.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Camax used to sell all sorts of sizes but I don't know if they are even around anymore.
You can try what I'm about to do and buy non magnet cap inserts and swap some caps from the 7mm ones everybody has (I have about 200 of them). You only really need two magnet caps in each insert pack to be able to find the inserts, then use your insert template to find the rest.
24Dave

Post by 24Dave »

If you cant find the magnetic version, or you are filing down longer versions, you can also peel the cap off with a sharp blade, drop a cut section of a finish nail in there and the put the cap back on, the little cylindrical strong magnets (from home depot) lock right on to the insert then.