Tipspacer and sidewalls vs core, how much?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Norwegianskier

Tipspacer and sidewalls vs core, how much?

Post by Norwegianskier »

How much of your tips and tails are tipspacers? How deep do you let them go?(difficult to say it in english)

And the same with sidewalls.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

On my skis :
sidewalls are a 7mm offset of the edge contour, tail/tipspacers are a 20mm offset.
Thinking of giving a try at 100% tipspacer tip and tail.
If someone have an answer to that : What are the advantages of having the core going up to the tips (except with rockered skis) ?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

at pm gear splat made some brockers w/ 100% tip spacer. It created a hinge point in the tip. Not bad for skiing pow, you can just see the tip hinge-kinda weird.
Idris

Post by Idris »

MontuckyMadman wrote:at pm gear splat made some brockers w/ 100% tip spacer. It created a hinge point in the tip. Not bad for skiing pow, you can just see the tip hinge-kinda weird.
Yes this was true of the first few, now the core is longer and has a wrap around tip spacer. You could feel the tip hinge more in hand flexing than skiing though.
MartinJern

Post by MartinJern »

I used 100% tipspacer in a pair and it worked fine! The old bro-cores that i got from u idris. No hinge effect there. it had a normal shaped tip so i guess its diffeent w long rocker tips. I think its a good way to go if u wanna use tipspacer, it makes it so easy laying up and easier to profile the core (depending on your method of profiling)