Womens ski

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

breid19

Womens ski

Post by breid19 »

Could anybody offer any advice for core thicknesses for a womens ski with a running length of 140cm (162 cm total). I was thinking 10mm in the middle running 12 cm in front and 20 cm behind the cord center tapering to 2mm at the tip/tail and using 22oz triax. Hoping this will not be too soft? I've made one pair with 11.25 in the middle tapering to 2.5mm and she finds them too stiff. I think the short length has a profound effect on the overall stiffness. Also should the center flat binding section be reduced for a shorter ski?

Thanks

bill
Dr. Delam

This is a tough decision

Post by Dr. Delam »

I made a pair for my wife , 172's, with a poplar core and a profile of 11mm in the middle tapering to 2 mm. They came out really soft but she likes them and they are primarily a powder ski with a shape of 141-116-129. The reason they came out so soft I think is that my core tapered down too quickly. I didn't put a flat section in the binding area and also had issues with the core lifting while profiling.

Trying to determine flex characteristics for someone can be a challenge especially since most people aren't sure of what they need anyway . There are so many factors that contribute such as skiing style, weight, desired camber profile, core material, skier ego, etc.

Of the 15 or so retail skis in my garage I only found one pair that had a totally flat section in the binding area. I think a rounder more natural flex is achieved without a flat section but with a boot and binding in place it is probably lost anyway.

I know some people have done cores at 10mm and found them too soft but what they considered soft may be just right for her.

I personally think that the underfoot stiffness and thickness isn't as important as the rate of taper and the tip and tail thickness.

For most people, a ski that they think is too soft is better than a ski that is too stiff.

I don't know if any of this will help but good luck with it. A lot of this is a learning process and experimentation.