Trimming sidewalls

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Head Monkey

Trimming sidewalls

Post by Head Monkey »

I was talking with doughboyshredder about this today, and I thought others might find it helpful. Every now and then I see people wondering how to trim their sidewalls, looking for special beveled bits, setting up complicated router table setups, etc. I find the simplest method is a laminate trimmer with an adjustable tilting base and a standard straight bit with a bearing at the top. I use one from Porter Cable with a tilt base: product id 11108. With this I can set whatever bevel angle I want, and it's pretty easy to run it along the base without tilting it. Plus, it's good for other things around the shop.

Here are some pics of the method:

Last edited by Head Monkey on Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
SRP

Post by SRP »

Thanks for the tip!! That looks like a great way to go. Now I have another excuse to buy another tool.
SRP

Post by SRP »

Thanks for the tip!! That looks like a great way to go. Now I have another excuse to buy another tool.
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Mike, this is excellent and thank you so much for sharing the info! I can always use another tool.