ON3P Skis

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

pentagram

Post by pentagram »

that back flip-invert shot looks awesome...looks like it was taken with speed and on the fly!
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

j-steezy763 wrote:are you getting it sublimated onto white or clear? and about how much did it run you for your sublimation?
white. Forget exactly what they ran, but quantity helps a TON with price Singles were pretty pricey.
brewster wrote:Spotted a pair of your boards at Solitude on Sunday. Looked pretty cool. The guy said they were his sons.
Hope he was enjoying them. Wonder who it was....

Since I am in here, I will post a bunch more shots from the season.

Billy, Caylor, David, and Rowen with Jeronimos, Wrenegades, Billy Goats, and Caylors

David testing blue steeles in MT (on left)

Testing jeronimos at vail

Will test wrens at the Hope on the Slope event at Stevens.

David on caylors

Will

David

Josh Anderson got 3rd and the Sickbird at the Silver King freeride on some wrens.

Day 1 - Bobbled landing so didn't score too well on day 1

Day 2 - 80+ foot lincoln loop to get sickbird and take 3rd. If he had stuck the landing on day one, he would have won probably.

Me cat skiing at Mt Bailey

Trevor park testing jeronimos at Park City

David test blue steeles at snoqualmie

that's it for now...
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

iggyskier wrote: Billy, Caylor, David, and Rowen with Jeronimos, Wrenegades, Billy Goats, and Caylors
My god I am so sorry you have to hang out with these kids (except David, for I do not personally know david... the rest however... all hooligans)
KevyWevy

Post by KevyWevy »

rowen needs to stop wearing that stupid wig!

just call him quinn
coutureskis

a few questions...

Post by coutureskis »

Ok, first off, I have to say EXCELLENT job on the producing of more than 50 pairs of skis in a couple months, unreal!

here are a couple questions I am going to throw at you:

first, where did you buy your VDS

second, when tapering your core thickness, do you only taper one end at a time to prevent the cutterhead on the planer from chipping the entry? or are you tapering both sides at once with one pass through (obviously more than one pass for the overall thickness) the planer at once?

third, about how much is it running you for your cores, and where are you buying them?

fourth, about how much does it cost for a set of 15 sheets of graphics to be printed?

and lastly, where are you getting your edges from, and again how much$

THANK YOU if you have time to answer all of these!! I really apreciate it.

check out my group on Face book (if you have a face book) to see the progress of my skis... trying to go high quantity like you, only trying to start a profitable business.

the name of my group on facebook is Couture Skis

thanks for the help man!! and great job, you have MUCH to be proud of.
coutureskis

one more question...

Post by coutureskis »

the last question is: how are you cutting out your base material?

router around your template or utility knife?
coutureskis

ha... also remembered another

Post by coutureskis »

what type of epoxy are you using, and where did you get it?

I have been using West systems, with a 206 slow hardener it is the 105 resin.
iggyskier

Re: a few questions...

Post by iggyskier »

coutureskis wrote:
first, where did you buy your VDS

Skibuilders.com.

second, when tapering your core thickness, do you only taper one end at a time to prevent the cutterhead on the planer from chipping the entry? or are you tapering both sides at once with one pass through (obviously more than one pass for the overall thickness) the planer at once?

Both at the same time

third, about how much is it running you for your cores, and where are you buying them?

More than you want to be spending.....haha. Any local flooring supplier could help you out.

fourth, about how much does it cost for a set of 15 sheets of graphics to be printed?

Fifteen? Ummm.....I dunno. $450-600 range I would guess

and lastly, where are you getting your edges from, and again how much$

Skibuilders and snowboard materials

the last question is: how are you cutting out your base material?

Router

what type of epoxy are you using, and where did you get it?

QCM

check out my group on Face book (if you have a face book) to see the progress of my skis... trying to go high quantity like you, only trying to start a profitable business.

In the process of trying to release these skis for sale next year, but hard to come by a lot of start up capital in today economy. Good luck.

[/b]
coutureskis

Post by coutureskis »

Thanks for all the help man... I don't know if you have looked int it yet but I have been dealing with a Ski core manufacturer out of Austria who makes cores specifically for skis out of any laminate wood that you want in any mixtures of species (given it is available) and the core price per pair is from 20 to 25 dollars, shipping to be added. these are really high quality and custom made.. the company is SI-CORE (sicore@volja.net) for any inquiries

just thought you would take interest to that.

also, how are you preventing the cores from chipping or "sniping" on the lead edge when routing them? it seems as though it would grab a lot when it hits the planer cutterhead while riding on your profiling jig. and how do you hold the cores to the jig? just the skateboard grip tape?

and, have you been having good luck with QCM and just curious on the price/quantity of what you purchase in with them.

hope everything goes well for you, I will post some more contacts for material directly form the supplier on here for you soon, especially woodcores and edges... I think it could potentially save you some money

thanks for the help again, I really appreciate it.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

SI-Cores is in Slovenia ;)

there are a couple of others out there (all in europe). one is hessco from switzerland (http://www.hessco.ch/website.php?id=/in ... dkerne.htm)
and the one i'll buy my snowboard cores at (standard 160cm poplar core 7mm thick for 7 EUR / core!) is tds in austria (http://members.aon.at/tds/eng/mainmenu.html)
plywood

Post by plywood »

@coutureskis: couldn`t find your facebook group and it would be interesting to see some pics, can`t you post a link or something?
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

coutureskis wrote:
also, how are you preventing the cores from chipping or "sniping" on the lead edge when routing them? it seems as though it would grab a lot when it hits the planer cutterhead while riding on your profiling jig. and how do you hold the cores to the jig? just the skateboard grip tape?
Bit confused what you are asking with the first part, but I basically cut the cores width wise, then length wise. Then I precut them on a band saw and then route them out. Only parts that are getting routed are the sidecut.

For the profiler I just use skateboarding grip tape. No issues at all. Never really had sniping issues.
coutureskis wrote:
and, have you been having good luck with QCM and just curious on the price/quantity of what you purchase in with them.
I have been having pretty good luck with them. I suspect I will try out some other epoxy just to see. For me, I could drive and pick it up from QCM so no shipping costs and availability was easy. So far so good.

I would usually purchase 5 gallon things of epoxy and 1 gallon of hardener. I don't remember the exact prices, but I think both were about $25/gallon.......I would call to find out current pricing.
coutureskis wrote: hope everything goes well for you, I will post some more contacts for material directly form the supplier on here for you soon, especially woodcores and edges... I think it could potentially save you some money
Thanks for the info. The more suppliers I have to choose from the better.

Once we ramp up our volume, our suppliers will obviously change a lot. CDW for edges, Crown for base material, ISO for topsheets, QCM for epoxy, and for the time being I had sourced cores for us directly from China. Minimums are high, but that is the volume I am looking to do so it works out.

I will maybe shoot some emails off to those core mfg to see what they can do. Bamboo is definitely pricey and not sure how available it is for them, but something to look into. Thanks.
coutureskis

here is a link to my facebook group...

Post by coutureskis »

the facebook group is called Couture Alpine Technologies, and it shows pictures of the entire process I have gone through... from building my press, to building the first pair of skis. so far, I have only built one pair, but at the current time, I am still working on finalizing the small details of my molding system. I am trying to develop an adjustable cassette system that can be used to make many different sizes and sidecuts on the same cassette. so, this is a work in progress, also the press is shown without the cat track installed.

I would upload pics to here, but I just dont have the time, and my facebook page is already established.

so, if you want... check it out! I would love to get some feedback.

just let me know that you are from skibuilders.com forum when you write to me on FaceBook.

here is the link:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group ... 712&ref=ts

Hope to hear from you guys on there!!!

and I am working on some contacts for you... I have to get them together, just havent had time!

good luck again!
coutureskis

Post by coutureskis »

You will have to look under the "photos" section of the group.... I am not sure if you can view it if you are not a member, so let me know if it works or not!

Thanks,

Griffin Couture
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

facebook is teh gayness.