Composites expo and classes at the Seattle Fiberlay

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Head Monkey

Composites expo and classes at the Seattle Fiberlay

Post by Head Monkey »

This one’s for all you Seattle-area builders:

Was down at Fiberlay on Friday to pickup some carbon and Kevlar. Good place to buy composites in small or large quantities, in case you’re not already aware.

Anyway, I noticed a flyer advertising “Fiberlay’s first ever Composite Materials Expo”, on May 15th at the Seattle location. Says they will have 12-15 vendor booths, demos, new products to see, technical training classes, technical staff on hand for questions, and food/drink. The expo part is free. The classes are not. Here’s the class list:

Plug and mold building
Composite repair/color match like the pros
Finishing/fairing/masking
Core materials
Infusion process
RTM process

Classes go from 8am to 4pm, pretty much one after the other, about an hour each. It’s $100 for the first class, and $50 for each additional class or $250 for a full-day class pass. If you’re interested in the classes then it looks like you can give them a call to see about signing up.

There was another flyer, too, titled “2009 Composite Training Classes” showing two classes, beginner and advanced. Both are 3-4 hour hands-on courses. The beginner one is “basics of materials… safety, application techniques, mold making and proper surface prep. Hand on training will include basic hand lamination, filleting, catalyzing material, and cleanup”. The advanced one “… will discuss advanced manufacturing techniques such as RTM, vacuum infusion, filament and tape winding and bladder molds. We will also discuss specific material applications related to carbon fiber, Kevlar, boron, basalt and natural fibers. As part of the hands on training in this class you will be able to participate in the setup and final vacuum infusion of a composite component.”

No info on dates on this last one, but I’m sure a phone call would get you the info you need if you’re interested.
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
G-man

Post by G-man »

Mike,

Thanks for the heads-up. Might be a worthwhile road trip in the middle of May.

G-man
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Well crap I would be all over this except I leave the 14th for a weekend of race watching in Utah :(