a report about ski materials and their properties

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

zachjowi

a report about ski materials and their properties

Post by zachjowi »

I am required to do some sort of report on materials and I am planning on doing a presentation on skis and the materials they are made of. Does anyone know of a website that show how they test the ski materials.

destructive testing or nondestructive testing is what I am looking for, basically my teacher just wants to see number data IE: wood grain direction changes the strength and can be measured.

thanks
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

doesn't endre work in this industry testing materials and writing reports on i them?
zachjowi

Post by zachjowi »

MontuckyMadman wrote:doesn't endre work in this industry testing materials and writing reports on i them?
I see some information about flex testing of skis which I could do as a "test process". There doesn't seem to be very much information out there about testing skis.

Is there any standard way of testing the flex, I can't really find any pictures of the machine used for this process.
endre

Post by endre »

zachjowi wrote:
MontuckyMadman wrote:doesn't endre work in this industry testing materials and writing reports on i them?
I see some information about flex testing of skis which I could do as a "test process". There doesn't seem to be very much information out there about testing skis.

Is there any standard way of testing the flex, I can't really find any pictures of the machine used for this process.

We write test reports on skis, not the materials directly, and no destructive tests (we would have had a very hard time getting next year's protos for sidewall strength- and slaptesting) ;) info like this would be very interesting to the community if you do f.ex testing of glues, woods, directions and how well different stuff sticks together. G-man has done some work on UHMWPE sidewall gluing.

here is a link to an old thread about ski flex measuring:
http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... g+ski+flex