Set Your Tivo - TV Show Friday That May Be of Interest

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

sleepycp

Set Your Tivo - TV Show Friday That May Be of Interest

Post by sleepycp »

Sorry if this seems to be spam, i thought it would be of interest to the members of the forum

Dynastar Unveils How Skis Are Made on...
"How It's Made"

For the first time ever a ski company will show the world how its skis are made on the highly-acclaimed How it’s Made television show. The crew of How It’s Made was at Dynastar in Sallanches, in the Chamonix Valley, France in September 2008 to produce this interesting step-by-step view of how alpine skis are produced. The show will highlight the different parts used in a ski, including bases, edges, metal laminates, top-sheet, molding processes, cosmetics and finishing processes -- everything that goes into making skis ready for the slopes.

How It’s Made is an award-winning show that highlights how ordinary, everyday items are made. Have you ever wondered how the products you use are made? How It's Made leads you through the process of how everyday products, such as apple juice, toothpicks, engines, contact lenses, and many more objects are manufactured.

Now that list includes Dynastar skis. And soon it will include Lange boots, too!

The How It’s Made “Dynastar skis” show will air on Friday June 19th 2009 at 9:00 pm ET on the Science Channel. If you miss the show consult the How It's Made website for addition air dates and times.

http://science.discovery.com/fansites/h ... smade.html

For more Dynastar/Lange information, check out dynastar.com or e-mail us at info@dynastar.com !
KevyWevy

Post by KevyWevy »

i hate that show... i don't really know why... but i do

but i'll watch this for sure!!!! too bad i'll be busy friday! i'll have to catch a repeat
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

KevyWevy wrote:i hate that show... i don't really know why... but i do
Because it completely sucks.

It is written and produced for middle school kids and dumb people. They leave out every important detail and I find I spend half an hour saying, "hey, how do they?, what's that for? Why do they?"
KevyWevy

Post by KevyWevy »

that must be why my roommate watches it so much... :evil:
suntoucher

Post by suntoucher »

well the odd episode I saw on youtube really wasn´t very informative, nonetheless it would be great if any of you guys watching it could put it on youtube. as it might interest people who don´t have american channels, like me in yurp, thanks
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

meh. so that is why dynastars sometimes are finished so sloppy...;)

don't see why they would finger joint and not just do full length cores.

was interesting to see them use the band saw to help out with the profiling process.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

damn you don't ruin it!! I have it tivoed now. all pm gears cores are finger jointed. save the scrap!
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

iggyskier wrote:meh. so that is why dynastars sometimes are finished so sloppy...;)

don't see why they would finger joint and not just do full length cores.

was interesting to see them use the band saw to help out with the profiling process.
$$$$$

12" of defect free wood is cheaper and easier to come buy then 7', so they buy 7 12" pieces and stick them together.

Just an example, I hope they use slightly longer pieces...
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

MontuckyMadman wrote:damn you don't ruin it!! I have it tivoed now. all pm gears cores are finger jointed. save the scrap!
haha sorry.
krp8128 wrote:$$$$$

12" of defect free wood is cheaper and easier to come buy then 7', so they buy 7 12" pieces and stick them together.

Just an example, I hope they use slightly longer pieces...
makes sense. And yeah, there were bigger than 12" sections.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I think they skipped some stuff but better than the karhu episode.
More robotics than I thought.
I like this show, I guess i'm a simpleton, yet I don't think so.
Now laser cutters are some crazy shiz.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I missed that episode but I've seen the show before and they do dumb it down so it looks fairly simple. I saw an episode of how Snowboards are made awhile ago. Looked so simple. Of course we know it's more complicated. btw - here's another website www.howstuffworks.com
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

KevyWevy wrote:that must be why my roommate watches it so much... :evil:
how's that job search going asshole?

You don't like How its Made because you can't understand most of it.

Also there is already an episode showing Karhu skis being made... so this isn't really a first?
KevyWevy

Post by KevyWevy »

i posted that just for you seaners!
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

KevyWevy wrote:i posted that just for you seaners!
I will smash you in your sleep.

Also - working 3rd shift is awesome (its not)

Back on topic... I hope this will be repeated on Discovery channel soon, I'd like to see it (we don't have Science channel)