left over base material as sidewall/tip spacer?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

suntoucher

left over base material as sidewall/tip spacer?

Post by suntoucher »

hi,
so I´m new and haven´t built any skis yet. I´m just getting started collecting the materials for the press and the skis.
what about using the leftovers of the base as sidewalls and spacers? just laminating them above each other with vds inbetween! my girlfriends snowboard has sidewalls of 2mm abs-2mm rubber then again abs...! so I was thinking if some of you are using p-tex for sidewalls my suggestion should work. please let me know what you guys think, maybe I´m forgetting something really important and the whole thing is stupid?? so let me know
Grizzly Adams

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Just remember that only one side of ptex base material has been abraded/treated so you'd need to abrade/treat the other side to bond to the surrounding layers.
Its a good thing cold smoke doesn't give you cancer.
suntoucher

Post by suntoucher »

to be honest my basematerial is exactly the same on both sides, guess I´ll treat it just in case. thanks otherwise, good idea or not??
Grizzly Adams

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Yeah, I got some of that stuff from snowboardmaterials a while back and both sides bond to stuff no problem (which was a pain in the ass when i used it as base material cause tape wouldnt stick to it to protect it, but epoxy would). Ought to be perfect as tip and tial spacer. I imagine it would work as sidewall material as well if you had enough leftover and it was well bonded.

I like that it would be using materials that would otherwise be wasted, but I imagine laminating it all might be significantly more trouble than just buying ptex from skibuilders.
Its a good thing cold smoke doesn't give you cancer.
suntoucher

Post by suntoucher »

yeah recycling was the initial idea, well im in yurp so skibuilders is no option for me although i could get some abs from a similar store, thanks good point
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

That should work fine, the only thing is that you will have pretty thin sidewalls. My skis tend to get knicked up quite a bit on the sides from the edges of the other ski, so I like to have a pretty thick sidewall (the last skis I made have an 8mm thick sidewall)