Fontaine ski tuning equipment

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

rockaukum

Fontaine ski tuning equipment

Post by rockaukum »

I have the oportuinty to pick up two pieces of Fontaine equipment. One is the wax machine modle #304. the other is the edger, model # 2513. The only problem is I don't know about this manufacturer. Anyone here Know about them? I would like to fine if they are reliable, and if parts and supplies are available too?
Any help would be great!
Thanks much,
rockaukum
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

We have a Fontaine hot waxer. I think you can still by belts from Wintersteiger or Sun Valley ski tools. They may also have stones for the edger as well. I haven't used it much, but it looks to be well built and most of the parts look to be 'off-the-shelf' industrial parts.

If you or anyone else, has a manual for the waxer, I'd like to get a copy.

-kelvin
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Kelvin,
I am still searching for news about these. I have talked with a guy who does repair on these and said he may be able to get a manual. Parts and pieces are still available (as well as consumables) through SVST. When I get the information, I will pass along what I can.
Thans for the help,
ra
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

I have a Fontaine base grinder, model 1404. Fontaine is (was?) a US manufacturer that, for a while, made machines over here for Wintersteiger. My machine was actually sold by Wintersteiger as model SNB 55. The manual that I have suggests the following address for the manufacturer: 200 27th St. Sacramento, CA 95826, phone number 916 443 3789. When I got the machine a few years ago… can’t remember exactly when, maybe 2005 or so? Anyway, at that time I got in contact with them. The manufacturer was still there, and I actually bought a part for the machine from them. The contact I had there was Dean Fothergill (sp?).

I hope that helps you.

Good luck,

Mike
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Hey Mike,
Thanks for the reply. I found the original business in Sacramento. Fontaine ski tuning machines. However that portion of the business was sold from what I have read. Once I saw that, I never tried to contact them. After hearing from you and your fairly recent contact with them, I may try that route also. In my searching I was told that fontaine had also done work for other manufacturers too. Interesting how things work.
Thanks for the information,
ra