Graphics how and what?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

bobbyrobie

Post by bobbyrobie »

does anyone know of a cheap source for sublimation?
kipi

Post by kipi »

i also need some info about sublimation..

1. does it go on the topsheet or on cloth(cotton)??
2. if on topsheet on what side??
3. when i go to printing shop what do i tell them?? what kind of printing/ink to use?

help!!
tnx
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

Try out small sign shops. My friend randomly tried a small local signage shop and they quoted us $12 for each sublimated 16x80 run if we provide the material
kipi

Post by kipi »

i understand

but on which material are you doing it? the plastic topseet or a fabric layer (that will be under a clear topsheet)??
and on what side? what kind of ink/color??

:(
bobbyrobie

Post by bobbyrobie »

the top sheet material is basically a clear piece of the uhmw base material but much thinner. the ink is applied to the bottom side so it is protected after it is layed up if i am correct.

jvangelder

does that include pressing it with heat? or just the actually printing of it, that price seems quite reasonable.
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

My understanding is that we are sublimating the top sheet, not sure which side is printed but if i understand sublimation correctly, once its heated the image goes completely though the material.

And yes i _believe_ this is with heat as well. Long story short we showed him some random video's of other board manufacturers and he saw the process and knew he could do what they were doing

I haven't had anything done yet (just finally got everything press-wise assembled) however once i do ill post up the results. If its something the guy is interested doing for non-local guys ill get whatever info you need

-Jacob
nick

Post by nick »

so basically you can print onto fabric w/ any size of printer? would any cotton work or do you need special tight woven fabric? i would imagine that would look better the tighter the weave.
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

We tried a test of printing on parchment paper last night and laying up with clear top and base material.

You can vaugly make out the edges of the paper, other than that you only see the printed images.