Snowboard plugs as ski binding mounts

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mitch

Snowboard plugs as ski binding mounts

Post by mitch »

Has anyone tried snowboard plugs as ski binding mounts, I realise the plug will have to be perfectly lined up, but this may mean one set of bindings maybe able to be used on a few pairs of skis over the season.
Also if you were to have two lots of plugs one set of plug holes for touring bindings and the other for downhill bindings.
Will this weaken the core? or reduce flex?
any info would be great
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Never been done. It's not possible. Snowboard parts will self destruct in the presence of a skier that doesn't know how to use the damn search feature. Or, just can't take the time to read through the site, and wants to have their hand held.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

doughboyshredder wrote:Never been done. It's not possible. Snowboard parts will self destruct in the presence of a skier that doesn't know how to use the damn search feature. Or, just can't take the time to read through the site, and wants to have their hand held.
drinking again?
jeff@shaggys

Post by jeff@shaggys »

doughboy,
This isn't TGR lay off, may be a dumb topic, but most of these topics are pre 2007 and they will eventually find it when no one responds. no need for half of these comments.
skishaggys.com
mitch

cheers

Post by mitch »

I was unsure if two sets of plugs would weaken the ski's. I had a good look over the site forum and net with no luck I am still new to the skibuilders forum if u could point me in the direction of where to find them it would be great.
you have a good day
endre

Post by endre »

Inserts are great for skis. There is no hole pattern standard for alpine (as with snowboard- and telemark bindings) that is probably the only reason it is not being used.

I and several others build skis with inserts, and there are hardly any downsides to it. (a CNC is definately best)
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

sorry, but it's been discussed in so many threads. The more repeated questions there are the harder it is to find the good info.
hansonc

Post by hansonc »

doughboyshredder wrote:sorry, but it's been discussed in so many threads. The more repeated questions there are the harder it is to find the good info.
I've been starting to wonder if a forum is the best technology for the info around here. I'm sort of wondering if it's time to set up a wiki for the regular howto type of stuff and free up the forums for the more obscure stuff.
KevyWevy

Post by KevyWevy »

definitely search the forum a little bit harder and look at the actual skibuilder tutorial... http://www.skibuilders.com/howto/skicon/inserts.shtml

as for weather having both alpine and tele inserts in one ski is plausible, its going to have more to do with the bindings (weather the holes overlap), rather than worrying about the flex or the integrity of the ski... those will be minimally affected since its under foot in the thickest part of the ski.

my first pair... they ended up a little forward mounted, other than that they worked great...

i filled the inserts with wax during lay up to make it easier to dill and clean the threads...