How do the pro's diecut?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Slant

How do the pro's diecut?

Post by Slant »

HI, I have done a lot of searching in the forum for the best way to create diecuts with less than satisfactory success. How do the big name companies do it? Do they use laser systems? My CNC Router does ok, but is not able to cut sharp outside corners and leaves "feathers" on the edge of the base material being cut. I also have a accucut mark IV diecut press. It works pretty well, but as discussed in other threads you almost need two different cutters for the same shape. One used for the outside shape and one for the same shape, just slightly smaller so it fits inside and lays flat. The dies are also expensive and leave little room for creativity. Does anyone know the very best way to diecut??? Thanks in advance...
powderho

Post by powderho »

I think it was from an Elan Snowboard factory tour video that's out there it shows them using a CNC material cutter. It's feed rate was flyin. I think it would be cool to have a CNC router that had an interchangeable material cutter head. It's seems to me that dragging a knife to do the cutting would leave a much cleaner edge on the UHMW than a router would.
Slant

Post by Slant »

You are right about a drag knife leaving a cleaner cut. I cut adhesive vinyl with a drag knife to make diecut stickers and it works great. I have not found any dragknives that are large enough to cut through BM though, or a way to hold down the base flat and steady enough even if I had a sweet huge drag knife...
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Slant

Post by Slant »

Thank you! Thats what I'm talking about! Probably a little out of my price range, but maybe I can use their cutting device on the ShopBot.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

probably easily. You don't have to order the carbide drag knives from eastman. any cutting table dealer will have what you need.
shopvac

Post by shopvac »

odin, have you thought about trying to implement this onto the bear? I think that would be very useful for cutting fiberglass to the exact shape. That would save epoxy and a lot of trouble when flashing and finishing.

Montucky, do you cut out your fg like this?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

THere is a round cutter blade tool I could use, I could just scale the file and cut the glass slightly larger than the base. Its added trouble, if the cutter was in the same location as my ski shop it would make sense.

If I was worried about ozs of resin and large volume production yes but really its just handy for templates and base cuts.

I use the pen tool to trace all my tip and ski shapes before I cut them.