how much edge must be covered by the core?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

sir.orange

how much edge must be covered by the core?

Post by sir.orange »

attaching my core to the base with the clued edges i noticed that 1mm (sometimes more, sometimes less) each side of my core is missing to cover the sprockets of the edge comnpletly... my ski is a cap-construction, so im afraid that the edges don t get enough support by the core which is abachi on the shoulder anyway...

do have to expect soft edges? ...two layers of 25,9oz glass (triaxial) will meet on top of the edge to strengthen the construction
sammer

Post by sammer »

orange...
Your edges are supported by your core/side walls.
If you don't have anything above them they will most likely bend or tear out when you do hit something with that edge.
Also your edges are under tremendous pressure when carving on the hard pack and need to be supported to stop them from bending / flexing up.

just my $0.02

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
sir.orange

Post by sir.orange »

ok...
so adding another slice of maple each side of the core is recommendable i guess
sir.orange

Post by sir.orange »

is there a significant difference between sidewall and cap construction skis on taking the pressure from the edge? cause, a cap constructed ski edge is never totaly covered from the core/sidewall like a sidewall ski, mostly just the clips. i guess the upper layer fibre glass supports the edge as well, but only the steeper the core edge the stiffer the edge...i was wondering because 333skis are using a 45° beveled core edge...is that enough support??

i ski fischer kehua (sidewall) and k2 fujative (nearly 90° cap constr ) but didnt recognise that much difference...
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

I used to use a 45 degree bevel when I made cap snowboards with vacuum bagging. Is it “enough”? Kinda depends… the edges of those boards held up very well to everything but rails. A good hard hit on a rail, though, and it would delam. Only delams I’ve ever had. With a sidewall board I’ve never had that problem.

Frankly, though, if you’re vacuum bagging with a plastic top sheet you don’t have much choice. It’s rare to find plastic top sheet material that will bend over anything steeper than about 45 degrees…
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X