Brilliant!

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MontuckyMadman

Brilliant!

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Did it again. damn.
dps wrote:Straight from the SIA booth…

The skinny on the S.S. technology- new to DPS Pure Skis for 10/11. It's a game changer. With a Patent app in hand… the cat can now come out of the bag…meow.

The three basic goals in ski construction are:
1. Lightweight: skis move across your body instantly, quick changes, playful, and powerful creative skiing. less fatigue.
2. Power: reactivity, energy transfer, and responsiveness.
3. Vibration Dampening; better ride quality and stability at speed. silky smooth sensations and reduced deflection.

Pure Carbon unquestionably ramps and nails the first 2 over anything else built. However, in chopped, harder snow jazz, the reactivity of carbon for #2 can also work as detriment to #3.

Over the last year, we have been testing and building what we call the "S.S"- the special sauce.

The S.S. is a series of vertically laminated metal ribs built into the core that tie the upper and lower pre-preg carbon laminates together, and tune the ride into the silky smooth feel of a metal ski - without adding any weight or detracting from the sheer power of the carbon. It is the sweetness. We have toyed with different levels of metal and tuned it into an alchemy of metal dampening. The S.S. is Pure: Carbon+ Nano- now taken to 11. Super light, more powerful than anything built, and now silky smooth- ok, enjoy.

Cross Section with the S.S.

Torsion tester showing a a well endowed physical specimen: Pure versus a double metal laminate sled. 30% torsionally stiffer, 30% lighter.
LifeisRiding

Post by LifeisRiding »

very sexy!
shopvac

Post by shopvac »

I saw that post of TGR too. Looks very smart. I bet profiling the cores would be a little trickier. Do you think the 13" planer/crib method is out? I would think the planer knives would be ruined where the metal strips were added. I guess you could get a bit that would do it with a router or on a CNC setup. Their skis are way cool.
Damon

Post by Damon »

Prepreg? I have a hard time believing that...
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

What do you suppose is the thickness and what alloy of AL would anyone hypothesis is the metal in there?

Prepreg is relevant to the carbon layup I think.

Hoping a planer could handle some real thin titinal?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I don't think my planer (Delta 12 inch) could handle metal. Maybe if you had carbide planer blades. I have a jointer too. One time I was running a board through the jointer and it hit a small wire brad nail. The blades got nicked. :(

Wonder what the effects would be if you replaced the vertical metal w/ carbon fiber or fiberglass. I think that could go through a planer... Although I've never worked w/ carbon fiber. Definitely would need a vacuum hook up for the planer to catch the fiberglass.... a mask and safety glasses.... Anyone ever try that? :idea:
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

Sh1t!!!

From now on I am writing every, and I mean every, idea I have down.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

The patent applies to carbon sandwich and the use of metal. I use small brads to hold my cores down on the planer and it doesn't nick the blade but that much titinal would be different. Sounds like horizontal bandsaw or a veneer manf. could use a resaw to profile the metal sandwich.
Damon

Post by Damon »

MontuckyMadman wrote: Prepreg is relevant to the carbon layup I think.
Right, I'm not sure the presses used in industry can cure prepreg.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

krp8128 wrote:Sh1t!!!

From now on I am writing every, and I mean every, idea I have down.
Unfortunately it doesn't matter. Shell out the tens of thousands for the patent or your ideas don't matter.

That being said, patents are not real easy to enforce, and by their nature have to be quite specific.
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

If they're using Titanal then it might actually be fine in a planer. It's just an aluminum alloy... HSS planer blades could be fine with, especially thin like that turned up on edge.

krp8128, did you post your thoughts on that up here? If so, it would be nicely dated prior art.
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
doughboyshredder

forgot about the public awareness caveat. That's why I posted about straight line on here, and made it clear that everyone on here is welcome to try it out and use it if so desired.
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

doughboy,

Where does your patent knowledge come from?

Prior art, properly documented and executed (i.e. you can;t sit on an idea, you must be activly researching and developing) can kill a patent in a hurry.

For example, had I documented this idea and performed continuous testing under my control unknown to the public* I could then produce skis using this technology. When DPS sends me a cease and desist notification, I can ignore it to the point of them taking me to court. Once I am in court, I use the "what patent?" defense, because my prior art would exclude them from ever having been issued a patent on the technology.

*i.e. I can't give you my skis for the day and say go ski, because you could cut the skis open and discover my work. There's a case involving mercury marine where a marina worker installed his idea in customers boats, mercury then went and "stole" it, he was screwed because it was in the public domain. I can look it up if anyone is interested.

This is my understanding of things from a patent course I aced last summer.
doughboyshredder

krp8128 wrote:doughboy,

Where does your patent knowledge come from?
very limited, and from real world experience.

I was more thinking in regards to challenging them for useage fees or whatever.
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

[/quote]

I was more thinking in regards to challenging them for useage fees or whatever.[/quote]

True. One of the biggest things I got out of that course was how much of a $$ game the legal system can be.