the edge dissolves at tip and tail! HELP!!!

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

backcountryjibber

the edge dissolves at tip and tail! HELP!!!

Post by backcountryjibber »

i have a heated skipress - i press with 60psi and heated up to 185 Fahrenheit - but after some skiingdays the edge dissolves at tip and tail 1 or 2 millimeters! I sharpen the edge before I press and i use west system epoxy! i hope you can help me! sorry for my english ;)[/b]
LifeisRiding

Post by LifeisRiding »

what do you mean by dissolves?
backcountryjibber

Post by backcountryjibber »

a little gap between edge and ski :-(
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

You need to bend your edges so that if the bond weakens they do not pop away from the ski. Your edge should not need glue to keep in position. The clamps used when gluing the edge should be used to hold the edge down, not in. A lot of people force the edge in to place and think the glue will hold it in place.

Also, you shouldn't be sanding the edge. The edge should be sandblasted, and any sanding will damage the bond.
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

doughboyshredder wrote:
Also, you shouldn't be sanding the edge. The edge should be sandblasted, and any sanding will damage the bond.
Unless you've annealed them and there is carbon build up, in which case you either need to sandblast them again or go to town with some low grit sand paper.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

iggyskier wrote:
doughboyshredder wrote:
Unless you've annealed them and there is carbon build up, in which case you either need to sandblast them again or go to town with some low grit sand paper.
Sanding only may cause issues in the long run...... or, so I've been told.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

a good clean wire brush wheel, on the end of a drill (dont use wire brush for any other tasks)? Then clean them.
Doug