Heat and concave bases

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

davide

Post by davide »

MontuckyMadman wrote:I have built the same exact ski both ways. With and without heat with the same epoxy.
I am sorry that you wasted time and material to find out that hot curing resin should not be cured at room temperature: you could just read the documentation coming with the resin, or prepare short samples of resin and bend them by hand.
As far as I know, if high temperature curing resins are cured at room temperature optimum mechanical properties are not reached while if room temperature curing resins are cured at high temperature they may be damaged (they have low Tg).
The room temperature resin I used has a Young modulus of 2.6 GPa, the tensile, compressive and flexural strength are 62 MPa, 120 MPa and 98 MPa and the elongation at break is 4.5%. The same company sells also an aeronautic resin (room temperature curing plus annealing at 50 degrees centigrade) whose values are about 20% higher.
May I ask you the mechanical properties (according to the manufacturer) of the resin you used?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

It was the west system look it up.

I was under the impression all epoxy's cure better at higher temps. They all have different temps for optimal cure but higher temps are better.

Im sure you can overcook and breakdown the epoxy.

That epoxy works and works well at room temp but the ski was much more lively and true when cooked at temp.
Its funny that you want to argue just what I personally have experienced.
No material was wasted just better skis made.
I am just trying to open a dialog not tell you your way is wrong.