Experimental Ideas

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Drew

Post by Drew »

You should check out Fischer and Scott skis from this year. Scott has some "technology" which channels the snow under the center of the ski. Fischer's new skis have 3D tips with a shape similar to the front of a boat.
Merlinm

Post by Merlinm »

hello
FALLS: On my next powder stick:
lenght 197. 136 / 130 / 136 hybride Sidecut
reverse side cut 0-30 140-197

no edges. 0-25 147-197

height. 2,4. 0,9. 0,4. O. O. 5
lenght. 0. 13. 30. 85 140. 197
back reverse camber very gradual
then 55cm flat AND then low(5cm!) tip gradual
on the front 50cm concave 1cm deep decreasing wide 10cm
ready : september 2011

do you like that?

Seb Michaud about the concave: "no différence; only marketing!"
( but it was a very short concave an very light )

Armada shaper last year: "no edges on the reverse sidecut part should be good"
so think of the part of the ski breaking the crust(crud?) with no hooking... And no edges at this part

this 2 ideas are very Good and match perfect together...
But a concave ski Is not easy waxable, difficult to build>>not the same price
good slide AND sorry for my bas english
falls

Post by falls »

Sounds interesting. Good luck with the build. Will be interested to see your results.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
Merlinm

Post by Merlinm »

Old windsurfer, I have used plenty of different shape on my boards , some with concave(s) V and flats . So, the first advantage of the concave was with his variable surface touching the water: a really better work on choppy sea, ++ comfort ++ dampening
big V worked the same but put the pressure, the energy outside of the hull, so don't keep the planning at the same level. Convexe is pretty close to V

about plannig, you must make difference:
- making it. Only wery thin concave help it, flat hull plane better than deep concave
- keeping it. There huge, deep concave was advantage specially on choppy conditions

i need to say that in fact it's more complicated, my english is bad, but you can' t say when you talk about shape:" you take that and you simply add it, it will work better" you need to find the good mix, understand all parameters and perfectly match them if you want a good stuff, a brilliant new tool , and it,s not so easy ...

so if i wanted a powder ski without risk ( find a good setting ) i will buy it on the market ( probably 4frnt renegade ) but i want to create so:

let's go rock and roll, use this cleaver idea for a good dampening onthe front, matche with a rocker tip ( 57 cm gradual 5cm high only) no edges there ( only 120 cm running edge contact ) sofgt at the beginning then increasing to became stiff under foot and on the tail( with very light inverse camber ))
this tool should work good on crud powder , heavy powder or spring condition...
we wil see all that next year
ciao et bonne glisse