Basic core construction

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Alex13

Basic core construction

Post by Alex13 »

I need to confirm construction for a basic core going in to an all mountain 156cm snowboard.

It's to be a reference board for my final year project, and will be laid up with only 220z glass top and bottom, base, inserts (with maybe a little kevlar backing for durability), topsheet, edges.

I was thinking poplar core with ash insert stringers and ash sidewalls. Going with wood sidewalls due to the ease of manufacturing - basically I don't have time to stuff around with delaminating sidewalls due to poor heat treatment.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, it should be a basic construction, but I'd appreciate any input, especially with regards to Australian woods that could be substituted.
Alex13

Post by Alex13 »

I should have noted - going for a 6mm core tapering down to 1.7mm tip and tail.
AlexF

Post by AlexF »

Go to matweb.com and like up the wood and natural products category; its got data for 368 different materials/woods!

For the GFRP use NCF rather than woven material if you can; its a hell of a lot easier to model! Ideally you'd use UD prepreg to make the layup as its easy to model and all the data you'd need to model it (even for first or higher order shear deformation theories) could be found or calculated from manufacturer's data and academic journals.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

I have 1.8 mm tips on a few of my boards and they are SOFT. Like flatten the tip out without raising the board off the ground. 1.7, too thin imo. Depending on the width 6 may be good for the main thickness.
LifeisRiding

Post by LifeisRiding »

MY tips are 2mm thick to match up with the 2mm tip spacers I use. The centers are 6.5mm using a combination of a linear into progressive core tampering down to the 2mm. Seems to be just the right flex for me. (22oz glass)
Alex13

Post by Alex13 »

1.7mm was the thickness of the overrun that crown could supply me for tip/tail spacers, I may make the tip spacer fairly small though, so I could widen out the tips a bit and taper it down at the edges.

I'm mainly just after a standard wood core detail, does ash/poplar sound about right?

I'll look into it AlexF, cheers.