Chainsaw profiling

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

endre

Post by endre »

Copied from 333's website, (now deleted, so there is no link)
We drove through this town tonight. Thinking of what’s left of the so many good people. We are trying to kick start Open Source Manufacturing. We are able to do so much now. Take a ski from numeric’s and build in a few hours to wax and mount. We had enough of the simple minded people who say as much as a pile of worthless crap. We do what we do, what no company has ever been able to do. The fact is, we will build the best skis in the world. We will create a new professional career path, Ski Smith. We stopped asking for help. But it must be noted, we received grand gestures that held us up when we were down, broke and getting kicked by the crowd. We remain indebted to these few individuals who both pushed and pulled for 333.

We remain committed to Feed the Seed, Open Source Manufacturing, Education. I stand ready to take down the familiar rhetoric of the often time lowest common denominator. The list is long, the names are not worth mentioning except to say, there are people who do not understand community, self sacrifice, sadness.

But we build skis. And so much of what we have done has given us a great sense of gratitude, happiness. The day is long and we give away what we learn, what we design, figure out. It is fun. The cutting edge, the bleeding edge asks that you remain positive. Otherwise we might fall into depression, suffer greatly. We have, but now we take a bit of time to relax, and look at the sky, the mountains.

We skied only 8 days this season. Much of it was poached from our corporate hill. The lift opps forfeited the $40 they could receive for turning me in and they let me ski. We built skis for our soldiers, the USMC. We built skis for third party analysis to get negative feedback. We watched individuals break our skis with ill intent and ask us to build them a replacement set. No, we are giving them their dollars back. Like I said, we had enough of idiots.

So, we are moving forward, with some of the best, finest clients that any company could ever hope to serve. We are training the next generation of ski manufacturer’s with sustainable business practices. We are not trying to grow, we are trying to Feed The Seed. Just trying to find the individuals who will bring back to their community, Local and Sustainable manufacturing on American soil, Australian soil, Canadian soil and Japanese soil.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I've been following the 333 idea/concept/saga for a little while. The idea itself is novel. I know that if a guy pulled a trailer to our little ski area and demo'ed how a ski is made it would generate a lot of interest.

BUT the end product still has to be decent regardless of price. And for people who buy the product and become dis-satisfied with it because it breaks or whatever and say "it was only $333", translates to "I got suckered". You get what you pay for. You'd be better off putting them over a fireplace, or in it.

And what is his "sustainable business practice"??, calling his customers idiots? I guess a customer to him are the ones who praise him. Doesn't sound a good plan to me. Take the criticism and use it to make a better end product.

Endre: Thanks for posting that.... that... not sure what it was.... He must have posted that random drivel after a late night (pitty) party or something, and realized the next day how dumb it sounded and took it down. And to use a chain saw to make cores, that's just plain stupid. It's not a precision instrument. Maybe he found the chain saw and recycled it thereby giving a "green" status. Chain saws are for cutting down trees and carving bears in tree trunks ;)
shopvac

Post by shopvac »

I don't want to get into it, but for an extra $67 I bought a pair of praxis skis in their pre-sale (before I started making skis) that I still ski on after 3 ski seasons and are holding up fine. I bet they will hit many more rocks and still keep going next year. There are plenty of other options around the $400-500 price range for new skis from stand up companies. I hope people do some research and find one. Personally, ON3P would be a company I would buy skis from if I was not building. I don't think ON3P skis were much over $450 for pre-sale skis. The extra $100 is totally worth it (in my opinion). I have seen a ton of them up at our local hill.

Skidesmond, you are 100% right when you say you get what you pay for.

I don't understand why 333 skis hasn't figure a few things out that would make their product so much better? There is so much information on this website alone that could do it for him.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

shopvac wrote:I don't want to get into it, but for an extra $67 I bought a pair of praxis skis in their pre-sale (before I started making skis) that I still ski on after 3 ski seasons and are holding up fine. I bet they will hit many more rocks and still keep going next year. There are plenty of other options around the $400-500 price range for new skis from stand up companies. I hope people do some research and find one. Personally, ON3P would be a company I would buy skis from if I was not building. I don't think ON3P skis were much over $450 for pre-sale skis. The extra $100 is totally worth it (in my opinion). I have seen a ton of them up at our local hill.

Skidesmond, you are 100% right when you say you get what you pay for.

I don't understand why 333 skis hasn't figure a few things out that would make their product so much better? There is so much information on this website alone that could do it for him.
Yeah I don't understand where 333 is coming from. There's lots of skis on the market that are good, even from the big manufacturers. There's also ski shop websites that sell last years models (or 2 years old and older) at deep discounts, "a working mans wage" (crap did I just say that :oops: ) . And for someone like me where the entire family skis, I look for discounts, but not poor quality even if the price is right.

I still think the whole trailer, green, renewable/solar energy thing can work for him if he used quality stuff, keeps his feet planted on the ground and head out of the clouds (or elsewhere... :) ). It's a business. And get rid of the freakin' chain saw.