New camber/rocker profile

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

doughboyshredder

New camber/rocker profile

Post by doughboyshredder »

I "invented" this just now in the garage. Super stoked to make it happen on the next prototype. I am calling it the triple double. I will post a couple drawings later but for now I will try and explain it as best I can. Standard camber underfoot. Then right outside of the insert pack a quick bend ala surface type rocker or "flat" rocker raising contact point up 1 cm. Then applying about 2-3mm camber to that section, ala lib cb2 or never summer rc. Basically 3 camber sections and 2 small "rocker" sections. All the benefits and enhanced edge grip of the recurve designs without the squirrelyness of the rockered midsection, but with the extra float and catch free characteristics of the raised contact points. Wonder how long till one of the big guys comes out with it.

What ya think?
Merlinm

Post by Merlinm »

I had Volkl CHOPSTICK short flat underfoot with tip and tail rocker >> slow and not very stable on firm snow
Big pressure on snow on short area with high angle of attack >> worse
For the control on the edge, look LIBTECH magne-traction edges, wavy with (4 to 8) points of contact on ice; this seems to give a very good grip on edge, but no one had used this technologie on race ( conservative people or lack of speed?)

close to your profile with less stability and speed PB >> gradual and slight inverse cambers ( gotama, 4frnt renegade, katana, bumtribe freebum...) give good performance on groomers. A swedish factory, HENDRYX use it, on carving skis, with appparently good results.

whereas if you're sure you have a good idea, try it and tell us the results

bonne glisse
Merlinm

Post by Merlinm »

On powder your profile should work good
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

mind you doughboyshredder builds snowboards ;)
Merlinm

Post by Merlinm »

K2 gyrator replica?
doughboyshredder

gyrator is full length rocker, and I have been told it sucks in all except for deep powder.

Can't stop thinking about how good this will work. I know the rc and cb2 designs are supposed to be great. I think this will be better.

merlinm, I invented and am using an alternative sidecut design I call Straight Line. Nowhere near as aggressive as most other designs on the market, with the added edge hold of multiple contact points. Basically the sidecut goes radius, straight, straight, radius.

I mainly build snowboards, but I am also planning on building convertible monoskis.
Merlinm

Post by Merlinm »

Exited to see all that
doughboyshredder

forum did it.

They are calling it the full platter, or some other nonsense, but it's exactly the same as my idea. Camber under foot with small rocker zones and then camber to the tip and camber to the tail.

Just scoped it in the new snowboard buyers guide. I doubt they got the idea here, but if they did, I guess I should be honored that they are using my idea. Probably just thought of it at the same time. Wish I had taken the time to build one first.