Entropy Bio Resins!

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

LifeisRiding

Entropy Bio Resins!

Post by LifeisRiding »

So i have been using Entorpy's Bio Resin in my last few boards and I am a complete convert. I dont think i will ever use epoxy again.
The boards all came out sweet and the oldest one with almost a whole season of riding on it held up amazingly well! Really their products are just a tiny bit more expensive then the epoxy(that i was using) would have been and the sustainable / low toxic attributes gained were well worth it!
I highly recommend to anyone to check them out and try their resin.
Truly amazing stuff from an amazing company.

http://www.entropyresins.com/products

Feel free to ask me any questions, I have pressed 2 snowboards and 1 aircore longboard with the super sap 100/1100 so far.
bobbyrobie

Post by bobbyrobie »

I use the same resin with my boards, works great.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

got one in the can right now hopefully she holds togather
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Awesome to hear, I've been eyeing this stuff for a while!
hjfast

Post by hjfast »

We just finished a bunch of testing of the Bio-Resin in coupon layups doing torsional and 3-point bending tests. The adhesion in the Entropy systems surpassed the Rhynoliner epoxy we tested it against. The modulus was considerably lower when we performed tensile tests of triax e-glass but the effect was not noticeable as it contributed to the total stiffness of a board.

That makes sense of course as stiffness is a product of the modulus E and the moment of inertia I (bh^3). For anyone without an eng. background.. the bio-resin had no adverse effects on the lay-ups, supplied better adhesion leading to less delam., and is more eco-friendly.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I did not find the viscosity to be all that workable. Took some time to wet out my composite. Really sticky, tough to get in my edge teeth.
Probably took me 25 min for 1 gigantic ski that looks more like a snowboard. I also used like 450 grams for 1 ski.
I know its super sap its really sticky/sappy.

Nice to not be overwhelmed with fumes and I can get it on my skin and it cleans up pretty easy.

Now if I could find an acceptable substitute for MEK.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

hjfast wrote:..... For anyone without an eng. background.. the bio-resin had no adverse effects on the lay-ups, supplied better adhesion leading to less delam., and is more eco-friendly.
Thanks for the layman terms. I've been eying this stuff for awhile also.

MontuckyMadman - I use acetone as a cleaning agent, I never used MEK so I don't know if fumes are any better or worse. I've been using QCM Epoxy EMV-0049 resin and ECA-032 hardener, almost no fumes at all, but I still wear a mask. The first time I used it I thought it was very thick compared to videos of others I saw using epoxy. Their epoxy seemed very thin, I don't know what they were using. Anyway, the next layup I warmed the epoxy up w/ a heat lamp for about 1 hr before layup and it was much better to work with and it wet out the fiberglass much easier.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I just know the pros use MEK. Acetone works and is less toxic.

Denni at entropy warned against prewarming the mixture. I did this with the west system and found it wet out much better. Denni said it could gel much quicker at elevated temps.

I just pulled the ski. Looks good.
I am always amazed that it all goes together correctly.

I used some qcm one time on another persons build and it had very low vicosity and smelled awful.

You must have different stuff.
LifeisRiding

Post by LifeisRiding »

for one of my layups i pre warmed the entropy resin by setting it infront of the heater fan i use to warm up my shaop for about 20min. The bottles were warm to the touch but i dont know what the exact temp was. Results: it was easier to spread and wet out the glass, also started to setup alot faster haha, of course. Took me about 18min and if it had been much longer i think i might have been in trouble. I belive the 100/1100 has a pot life of about 25min at room temp...
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

pressed 2 pairs with this stuff. Seems to work very well. We heated on a seedling mat for an hour or so, very low temp maybe 75 F. Just to make it wet better. At 60 F the stuff was to sap like.

So nice to not have harmful VOC's I got some on my hand, cleans up real easy. So nice to take at least one of the hazard/toxic parts out of the process.
shopvac

Post by shopvac »

Thanks for sharing this. As for cleaning, we use 200 proof alcohol to clean everything. We started with acetone but the alcohol is better. It isn't nasty to work with at all and it is pretty cheap for a gallon.
falls

Post by falls »

Thanks for sharing this. As for cleaning, we use 200 proof alcohol to clean everything. We started with acetone but the alcohol is better. It isn't nasty to work with at all and it is pretty cheap for a gallon.
And mix it half/half with some orange juice for a post layup shot!

Seriously.
Is Entropy a USA based company (california?). I am interested in trying their resin, but live in Australia. I emailed asking about shipping/supply but haven't heard back.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

yep. San Francisco and LA.

Its non-toxic so I think you could send it international. Call and talk to desi.

http://www.entropyresins.com/products
node/27

ENTROPY RESEARCH LABS
SAN FRANCISCO
(415) 839-7309
LOS ANGELES
(310) 882-2582
kylehiroyasu

Post by kylehiroyasu »

do you guys know if this stuff is affected by UV? obviously it can't be too bad if it lasted a full season, but just curious. i tried accessing their download page for more info and the link was dead or something :/
thanks
erlabs

Post by erlabs »

Hi all, Desi from Entropy here...

Thanks for starting this thread LifeisRiding and I'm glad people are having success with the resins. As I have said before this is the most informed group of DIY'ers out there and we're stoked that you guys are getting into our resins.

With that said just wanted to clarify a few things...

DO NOT use Acetone as a solvent with epoxies. This is a good rule of thumb not just for our epoxy but any epoxy. Acetone acts as a carrier of epoxy into the skin and ultimately into your bloodstream which can speed up sensitization. Although we use a vegetable oil based component to derive our epoxy they still carry a bis-a/f backbone in order to have strength. So again don't use acteone as a solvent. MEK works but you don't need something that strong. We use denatured alcohol in our shop but even household vinegar works well.

A note on mechanics, although our adhesion properties should be superior to anything out there, the modulus of our base 100 system resins is a bit lower than what you are used to. This is mostly due to the fact that we are trying to use one system to address multiple applications. We have been working with manufacturers on a high modulus epoxy specifically designed for compression molding and hope to release that for retail before the upcoming winter. This new epoxy will carry all the same attributes of our 100/1100 system but have higher modulus...stay tuned.

Oh, and the UV stability is excellent, especially if you use a top sheet. We've been building surfboards with it for the past couple years and haven't had any chalking or other issues.

Lastly, sorry if we haven't been to responsive to international peeps. We are working on distribution deals outside of North America and we hope to have our resins available world wide by the end of the year. So, hang in there we are working on it. If you want to contact me directly you can hit me up at 415.839.7309 or at desi@entropyresins.com (I'm on the road a lot so email works best).

Thanks!