Any Top Sheet out there

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mac

Any Top Sheet out there

Post by mac »

Hey Great website guys,

I'm having trouble finding top sheet. I have ordered all the other materials from SBM.com but they do not have any top sheet.
1) The local plastic dealer has 1/16th poly but he says it won't epoxy, can this be used if it is textured on one side?

2)SBM said you can do without if one is o.k with the lack lustre finish, is this o.k. or will I lose some properties in the ski?

3) If I can not use the local Poly, is there any out there? that I could get in non ridiculous amounts, preferably in Canada?

Mac
tonyt

Re: Any Top Sheet out there

Post by tonyt »

mac wrote: 3) If I can not use the local Poly, is there any out there? that I could get in non ridiculous amounts, preferably in Canada?

Mac
Mac Durasurf will sell you material from their overstock inventory a 2.00/ metre. you have to buy 10 metres but that is only 20.00 regular price is 6.00/meter. There is lots of choices in colors etc. I had a bit of a time getting them to actually ship the material and then when they did I think they thought I was in a big rush so they shipped it on overnight courier and it cost me 230 Canadian for shipping so I was not too happy . I just posted a comment about the clear material as I was kind of disappointed at how opaque it was but my thickness was 1.2mm so that might account for it. I have an old inventory but if you call them they will email you a list.
mac

Post by mac »

Did I read that correctly, $230 for shipping? That hurts.
If that is the case, it's outta my price range.
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

The polycarb probably won't epoxy that well even if textured. We have tried before and it comes off pretty easily.

There are alternative to a top sheet. Wood veneer works well and looks good. The Dr. Strangeloves have a wood top and they are holding up pretty well. They are getting scratched on top and the sides, but they don't look any worse than our skis with a ptex top. Epoxy for a top also works well. If you use a layer of peelply as your top when pressing, you can pull that off and the top should be smooth. You can then protect the epoxy with a polyureathane like system 3 wr-lpu (http://www.systemthree.com/p_wr_lpu.asp). It comes in different colors as well as clear gloss and satin. The finish should look really good.

-kelvin
tonyt

Post by tonyt »

mac wrote:Did I read that correctly, $230 for shipping? That hurts.
If that is the case, it's outta my price range.
Yea it was out of my price range too and negated any benefit of the "good" price on the base material. Ask them to mail it to you it will cost under 20.00 and you won't pay any Canadian fun taxes or duty. It did take a month for them to put it in the box and ship it so I think they misunderstood my frustration with a need to get it delivered ASAP.
mac

Post by mac »

What is peelply?