Extra ski building Materials!

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

tharvey

Extra ski building Materials!

Post by tharvey »

I am looking for anyones extra ski building materials that they can give me. I do not want to buy them (so i guess that narrows it down a lot). because i am still living with my parents, i have to save money, so i am really "bumming" it on this one. i just want to be able to bust out another pair in my parents garage before the winter starts again. So if you have any extra materials such as even just one layer of composite, or one extra tip/tail spacer. I WILL TAKE IT! please help a fellow ski builder out here. let me know if anyone has any extra stuff. Or if you just want to be generous.

thanks again
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

I have cut offs that are big enough to build skis with probably.

Post pictures of your press setup and the pair you have already built. I might send you some glass and tip/tail material.
tharvey

Post by tharvey »

i dont know how to post pictures... but i kind figure out. I have two presses, (pneumatic, and vacuum) i just built one ski on the vaccum to make sure that it worked and i was capable of getting the process down. it worked with a few minor imperfections, but nothing i cant fix. I built my better skis with a vaccum press i made, where i just have the bottom mold, and used heavu duty painters plasic which i epoxed into a bag, and hooked a vacuum witha pressure gage on the nozzle to. i have pictures of those. however i made the cores with pine, and too thin in the tails (because i though they would be light, soft powder skis) but it backfired on me, and one broke through all theway, and the other cracked when i went off a little ledge, and landed backseat. thanks for helping me out if you can, i extremely appreciate it.
OnDeck

Post by OnDeck »

If you don't mind waiting, i might have a few metres of some clear base material i wont be using. I'll let you know.

PM me if you don;t hear back in a few weeks, and wake me up.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

hey! what width is your base material? i need some transparent, but it seems really hard to find in small quantities.
OnDeck

Post by OnDeck »

it's 13". i need a couple of weeks to wrap some stuff up and see how much i have spare. I'm pretty sure I'll have a couple of metres left over for people who need it. Not very much, I'm araid.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

no worries...where did you buy it?
tharvey

Post by tharvey »

If there is anyone else who is willing to help me out with some free extra materials. Please let meknow it would be greatly appreciated
krp8128

Re: Extra ski building Materials!

Post by krp8128 »

tharvey wrote:I do not want to buy them (so i guess that narrows it down a lot). because i am still living with my parents, i have to save money, so i am really "bumming" it on this one.
Wait, so you pay no rent and likely don't buy food so we should send you enough materials to build skis?

I don't get it.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

yeah. skibuilding is expensive. If you don't have any disposable income you don't really build skis. I spend way to much of my very small expendable income on my hobbies.

Get a partner, split the cost. Teach them what you have learned and if they are smart they will teach you something through innovation. That's what I did.

I think skibuilding is much better as a team effort. There are just so many variables and steps. Everything's faster with 2 people.

Hell this site is like one big team. I have nothing to offer except for advice and thats worth about $.000.