DXF for profiling crib?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

a.badner

Post by a.badner »

hey ok
so you cant really se all the definitions, but i made the design 2 metres to accommodate for more than one ski core, the under foot is 12 mm thick and goes to zero on each side, and it's centered, because im a teen ager and i will ONLY! be making symmetrical twin tips :).

But any feed back will be good :D
a.badner

Post by a.badner »

MontuckyMadman wrote:
a.badner wrote: what time is it in Australia?
You see its tomorrow over there so he's in the future. He knows what you are going to ask before you know.
ha ha true :)
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

a.badner wrote: the under foot is 12 mm thick and goes to zero on each side
That looks good except for the going to zero part. You don't want your core going to zero thickness at the tips. Are you using any tip spacer material, or core all the way to the tips?
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

well, you could do it that way if you wanted a constant taper right up to the tips.
a.badner

Post by a.badner »

twizzstyle wrote:
a.badner wrote: the under foot is 12 mm thick and goes to zero on each side
That looks good except for the going to zero part. You don't want your core going to zero thickness at the tips. Are you using any tip spacer material, or core all the way to the tips?
Well i'm not using tip and tail spacers, but im doing this because i know none of my cores are going to be 2 metres long. the tip and tail are not giong to be going to zero at any time at all.

i do want a constant taper, because it give more pop.

thanks for the feed back though
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

MontuckyMadman wrote:
a.badner wrote: what time is it in Australia?
You see its tomorrow over there so he's in the future. He knows what you are going to ask before you know.
:D Good one!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Definitely start a journal so the forum can follow what you're doing. You'll get alot of help that way as opposed to random questions.

Sounds like you have a good start already for tools and you have a press so that's great. But as for it being cheaper than buying skis... maybe in the long run. I spent about $1200 - $1500 to get to the point of making my first skis and I already had all the tools, except for some router bits. Don't let the $$$ get in the way. There's lots of creatve ways to do things on the cheap, the forum is full of ideas.

I'm at the point where I can make a nice ski for around $120 - $140 depending on the topsheet material. I use a basic lay up, no fancy materials just yet.
a.badner

Post by a.badner »

skidesmond wrote:Definitely start a journal so the forum can follow what you're doing. You'll get alot of help that way as opposed to random questions.

Sounds like you have a good start already for tools and you have a press so that's great. But as for it being cheaper than buying skis... maybe in the long run. I spent about $1200 - $1500 to get to the point of making my first skis and I already had all the tools, except for some router bits. Don't let the $$$ get in the way. There's lots of creatve ways to do things on the cheap, the forum is full of ideas.

I'm at the point where I can make a nice ski for around $120 - $140 depending on the topsheet material. I use a basic lay up, no fancy materials just yet.
Welllll, i have a press frame built, and im startin the mold this weekend

and do you know anyone with a hose/ bladder they can sell me?
falls

Post by falls »

What you have drawn looks good
A symmetrical design for twin tips.
The thing that worries me is trying to use a single crib for different core lengths.
Your design continues to slope upwards to the ends by the looks of things. This picture is an exxageration, but demonstrates what might happen if you are profiling a shorter core. To get the end of the core down to 2mm it might actually be lower than the end of the crib and then the planer will eat the end of your crib.
I am pretty sure that iggy has a crib not only for every ski model, but also every length in that model. This not only makes each ski better because it has a custom core design, but stops any damage to the cribs as they go through the planer.
I think you need to taper for the difference between max thickness and tip thickness then have a flat area out at the tip/tail to allow for some run out in the planer.
There are some pictures of iggy's cribs on this forum somewhere that show a side on view to give you an idea.

On a side note this is my local resort this morning
Image unfortunately I am at work :(
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

a.badner wrote:
skidesmond wrote:Definitely start a journal so the forum can follow what you're doing. You'll get alot of help that way as opposed to random questions.

Welllll, i have a press frame built, and im startin the mold this weekend

and do you know anyone with a hose/ bladder they can sell me?
(woh something weird happened....)

I got my hose from hosecraftusa, not cheap:
http://www.hosecraftusa.com/model/PD2_P ... harge_Hose

You can try here:
http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewf ... 4e0fd05916

Also you might score some hose from your local fire dept. A few guys have done that.
Last edited by skidesmond on Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a.badner

Post by a.badner »

falls wrote:What you have drawn looks good
A symmetrical design for twin tips.
The thing that worries me is trying to use a single crib for different core lengths.
Your design continues to slope upwards to the ends by the looks of things. This picture is an exxageration, but demonstrates what might happen if you are profiling a shorter core. To get the end of the core down to 2mm it might actually be lower than the end of the crib and then the planer will eat the end of your crib.
I am pretty sure that iggy has a crib not only for every ski model, but also every length in that model. This not only makes each ski better because it has a custom core design, but stops any damage to the cribs as they go through the planer.
I think you need to taper for the difference between max thickness and tip thickness then have a flat area out at the tip/tail to allow for some run out in the planer.
There are some pictures of iggy's cribs on this forum somewhere that show a side on view to give you an idea.

On a side note this is my local resort this morning
Image unfortunately I am at work :(

Thakns once again, but ive done some thinking about this crib, and im pretty sure that i am going to use this design. i am not worried about the planer eating the crib or other things like that because i know my ski arent going to be 2m's long.

i chose 2 metres because it seems like a standard size for wood in
canada. that means the length will go over the ends of the planer crib.

Iggy has more cribs because of two reasons.
1. each different shape/length of ski has its own core profile.
2. he can afford them.

but i can most definatley understand your logic, but i think this is going to work quite well. only time will tell. :)
a.badner

Post by a.badner »

skidesmond wrote:
Also you might score some hose from your local fire dept. A few guys have done that.
Uhm tried that.

here's the reply email

Sent: August-23-10 3:28 PM
To: adam.badner@hotmail.ca
Subject: RE: Town of Caledon Website Submission - Contact Us

Hello Adam.

Unfortunately I have no hose available at this time. What diameter hose are you looking for?

Brad Bigrigg, Fire Chief
Community Emergency Management Coordinator
Town of Caledon

(905) 584-2272 Ext. 4334

i went in person as well

oh

and i already messaged KRP818121 or what ever, before
and no reply
im guessing he doesnt have any left? or something like that?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Somebody on here just had some for sale (I bought some from him), check the for sale threads.

I'm with falls about the crib. Using one crib for any length won't work. Long skis will be too soft, short skis will be too stiff.

If you do a constant taper from 12mm down to 2mm at the very tip, they may end up stiffer than you wanted. Just keep that in mind ;)

You said a "constant taper gives more pop", how so? It will change the bending characteristics, and create a stiffer ski (compared to a soft-curved profile). Whether or not that equates to more pop though I'm not sure.