heating ski workshop

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

vinman

heating ski workshop

Post by vinman »

I'm building a workshop for my ski production. What types of precautions do I need to think about when heating this space? It will be an uninsulated 12x 20 shed workshop. I was thinking about a small wood stove but I'm not sure about having a wood fire in a shop with epoxy fumes.

Is there an issue there or am I just being paranoid?

If this is an issue, is it more of a flash point issue? and if so at what temp would things get dangerous? I know this is probably dependent upon what epoxy/hardener combo I use but i though maybe someone might have some info.

I am now thinking about an oil-filled plug in heater instead of a fire/stove or other type of IR glowing element type heater...

Thoughts? Ideas?
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Safety always comes first. I know it gets damn cold in VT. Probably the cheapest would be a small wood stove. As a matter of fact my mother-in-law has a small Jotul wood stove for sale. PM me if you're interested.

I'm sure electric rates are high in VT. They are in my area in Ma.

As for fumes of epoxy I use QCM and the fumes/vapor are almost non-existent to nose anyhow. I would worry more about storing cleaning fluids like acetone (if you're using that), paint thinner, etc.

I've also seen small heaters that run off small propane tanks (gas grill tanks) but I think they only last a few hours. My mother-in-law also has a kerosene heater. But the Kerosene heaters give off more fumes than any of the materials you're working with.

In any case you want to keep all the material from any heat source.... common sense.

Pm me if you want more info on the wood stove.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

yeah solvents would be the ignitable and rags left in a closed bin soaked with solvents. Denatured alcohol and mek and mineral spirits are all pretty flammable in my book.

In all reality you said uninsulated? Your gonna be pulling allot of air through there with a wood stove going I wouldn't worry about the accumulation of fumes in that type of space, but always just dispose of your waste and such away and store away from the fire.
OAC

Post by OAC »

Insulate the ceiling! A lot! It's the biggest energy thief on all house constructions. All the heat will go right out there if it's not insulated. Then you can have a heater of your choice.
A wood stove will be cozy! :-)
vinman

Post by vinman »

We are not exactly talking about a tight structure here. It will be drafty for sure. I'll also have a window or 2 and a whole house exhaust fan to work with. Insulating the roof is a good idea since It will be a metal roof.

I know I can't keep solvent soaked rags enclosed. I was more worried about open flames and some of those fumes. I'll not be storing them near any heat source and the work benches will be in the opposite end of the shop away from the stove. So at least 15 or so feet away.

Thanks for the info. Keep it coming if anyone has more ideas. I sill may get an oil filled radiant heater for use close to the press to try keep that area as warm as possible without using heater blankets.
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

Our shop is a little bigger than yours, however we got by with a propane hat heater and a k1 space heater last year with a half insulated 2 bay garage.

Just plastic'ing the wall's made a massive differance, IE unbearable to hey ill come and work today

This year we are in our newer shop (built from scrap's) and we are using a forced hot air unit from an old mobile home

-Jacob
vinman

Post by vinman »

plastic over the studs is a good idea. I might think about that.
vinman

Post by vinman »

FLashpoint with epoxy is not likely to be problem west and system 3 has flashpoint in the 200-300 deg range. Acetone and varnishes would be more of a danger here.

I'm now thinking about electric baseboard heat that is thermostat controlled. I think this is a must for a non heated press since the cure time is so long. This will also mean I'll have to try to do some basic insulation even if it is only sealing the studs with plastic.

A 30 inch baseboard heater is only about $20-30. I could get a few without much trouble and I think they would work nicely. I coils also pick up the oil filled radiators to move in very close to the press to keep it nice and toasty.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I have 2 portable electric heaters I use in my basement when I'm working down there. One is an oil fill radiator. They work pretty good. I keep one on low most of the time just to keep the chill out. When I'm making skis I'll put both on high the night before to warm everything up. Cost about $30 a month to run them.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I found 2 5 foot electric baseboard heaters for $35 on craigslist. I'm going to pick those up. I may also still buy a small wood stove to use during parts of building when I'm not using fume producing stuff. I could also pick up an oil filled radiator for cheap and park it very close to the press.

I dod think I'll have to do some sort of insulation so I'm not just wasting heat and $$$.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I found 2 5 foot electric baseboard heaters for $35 on craigslist. I'm going to pick those up. I may also still buy a small wood stove to use during parts of building when I'm not using fume producing stuff. I could also pick up an oil filled radiator for cheap and park it very close to the press.

I dod think I'll have to do some sort of insulation so I'm not just wasting heat and $$$.
vinman

Post by vinman »

craigslist is the best. A couple hundred bucks worth of fiberglass insulation, possible more than enough to do my shed for $10.
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

Wow im envious, we are going to our old garage shop to steal all the insulation for our new shop. Thats quite the find
vinman

Post by vinman »

Turns out the guy had about $500 in Insulation he gave me for $10.

I'm going to use foam sheeting under the floor and metal roofing to seal everything else up. That should go a long way in keeping things cosy in my shop.

I just finished framing the floor joists today. Should have the floor down and be ready for walls by the weekend.
vinman

Post by vinman »

My shop is progressing. I have all four walls framed and standing. I'll be picking up the last few sticks of lumber to finish framing this week. The rafters should be up this weekend and hopfully starting siding, roofing and insulating the following week.

I'll need to get my electrician neighbor to do some wiring and I'll be in business.

Shooting for October to build and press. This will time out well with my friend returning from an overseas trip to help with some tech aspects.