Skis for Sweden

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Greg

Skis for Sweden

Post by Greg »

Hey all (especially you Swedes) I just got accepted to graduate school in Lulea, Sweden (way up north). I am wondering if any of you are familiar with the snow conditions they get up there so that I can build a couple pairs of skis to take with me. Mostly I am wondering how dry the powder is there, or if they actually get much powder at all. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg
Lennart

Post by Lennart »

Hello Greg, I live in Umea, it´s 270 km south of Lulea. By the way I have been out skiing today. Lots of snow but spring conditions. Make your self a pair of all mountain skis. Here are a few links to skiing inthe northern region:
www.riksgransen.nu
www.abisko.nu/vinter06/english/welcome.asp
www.mattsundsbacken.se/index.html
www.bjorkliden.com/bjorkis/
www.kabdalis.com
www.storklinten.se
www.dundret.se/intro.html
The nearest from Lulea is Mottsundsbacken it´s only 10 km from the town. To find real off pist skiing you have to go to the higher region around. Abisko, Bjorkliden and Riksgransen. There all skiing is above the tree line. In Riksgransen there are skiing at least until midsommer and often longer. Fine skiing is also found on Dundret.
Well I give you this to begin with. Hope you will have a nice stay in Sweden.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Lennart,
Thanks for the great info. I can't wait to get over there!