Lifter and or Risers

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Carvejunky

Lifter and or Risers

Post by Carvejunky »

Hi all!

I am a new member here, but have been reading the forum for some time. I am a snowboarder and will be making my boards this summer. I also read Grafsnowboards and between the two the amount of info is staggering.

Anyway I was looking at risers and lifters that skiers use on there ski's and was wondering how they are attached and how the bindings are attached to the lifters/risers. Are ski bindings screwed into the ski, or do they use inserts like snowboards? Since I will be making my own boards I have been thinking about making my own bindings. Some of the Olympic hardbooters were using a different type of binding that appears to have Risers/Lifters on the edges of the board instead of mounting to the center 4cm of the board.

I guess I need help understanding how the method of attachment allows the board to flex properly. Thanks in advance...

Carvejunky
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

Some skis have binding inserts like snowboards. Most do not and the binding are screwed directly into the ski. With risers, the riser is screwed into the ski and then the binding is screwed into the riser.

where in ohio do you live? I lived in cleveland for a while.

-kelvin
Carvejunky

Post by Carvejunky »

Kelvin,

I live in Mayfield Hts., are you familiar? How long ago were you in Cleveland and what part did you live in? I ride hardboots and race, but I have also raced Boardercross. Winter pretty much sucked here. It rained all weekend at 3 out of 8 races this year. I really dislike sitting at the top of the hill in the rain waiting for starting order. Oh well, thats Cleveland!

Carvejunky