how to attach the top silicone blanket assembly?

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Raccoon

how to attach the top silicone blanket assembly?

Post by Raccoon »

What is the better way to attach the top silicone blanket assembly (silicone heater betwwen 2 alu skin) to the cat track bars?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Why can't you just set it on there? It doesn't need to be attached to anything.
Raccoon

Post by Raccoon »

the top heater assembly will go under the cat track bars, right? so I have to attach it to the bars??
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

no need to attach it, although it does make it easier to load the press. I just use 4 small spring clamps that I remove once everything is in the press and before inflating the air bags.
webboy

Post by webboy »

Or lay it on top just before loading?
falls

Post by falls »

Some other people have the heater in the Al sheets suspended using springs/bungees so it will stay up for loading then lower down for pressing.
Otherwise you could use a few small bolts to bolt it to your cat track bars every 30cm or so. If you use bolts the cat track pieces will need to be wider than your lower mold pressing area.
This is the folsom customs press.
They have occasional cat track pieces wider than the others. The blanket is encased in 2 layers of aluminium and then anchored to the longer cat track pieces. They must use a countersink or flush screw to anchor the aluminium sheets to the cat track because it still presses on the cassette during pressing. They use stiffer springs to suspend the longer cat track pieces and the long aluminium sheet holds up the remainder of the cat track.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
Raccoon

Post by Raccoon »

Thank you guys!