HELP!!! profiling cores

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

sammer

Post by sammer »

Holy....
3mm is a lot. Just under 1/4".
I try to go 1/32"- 1/16 when planing my cores to get them flat.
Takes a few passes but don't want to over work my planer or f-up my cores.
I also use the slowest speed possible.
Still haven't convinced myself that a planer is the way to go.
Although I'm definitely getting warmed up to the idea :)
The router bridge is still working good for me so not quite ready to change
Change is hard when your a FOG :D

Go slow and and tap 'er light and you should be alright!

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
jono

Post by jono »

wow, 3mm is a beastly cut.
Did the lights dim when you made that pass?
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

jono wrote:wow, 3mm is a beastly cut.
Did the lights dim when you made that pass?
ha, it cut through the wood like butter.
Beastly cuts for a beastly machine.

I think I am going to cut out the damaged section, and the corresponding section in the other binding areas and replace them with sections of core stock oriented width wise instead of lengthwise. I forget who I saw do this before.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

doughboyshredder wrote: I think I am going to cut out the damaged section, and the corresponding section in the other binding areas and replace them with sections of core stock oriented width wise instead of lengthwise. I forget who I saw do this before.
probably burton ;)

for the planer issues. we are now only planing one side of the core each time we pass it through and then flip it around (but we're in the lucky position to have access to a planer that lets us set the thickness by 0.1mm digitally!). that seems to help with the sidewall issues. our planer once ate one of our sidewalls completely when we were planing the whole core at once!
we do passes of 1/32" all the time. takes a bit longer but seems a lot safer to me.
doughboyshredder

chrismp wrote: we are now only planing one side of the core each time we pass it through and then flip it around
Yeah, I may do it like this from here out. I think it's safer in regards to pulling the sidewalls away.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

sammer wrote: Change is hard when your a FOG :D
Ok I give up, somebody's gotta fill me in. I've been seeing this a lot lately, FOG = ? F*cking old guy?

And doughboy, your picture is soo familiar, we had lots of sidewalls rip off (but that's cause we still can't get good bonds with p-tex sidewalls). Shallow passes are definitely best, and I used a TON of hot glue on my cores, especially towards the tips where the core gets very thin. Almost a constant bead on the edge.

Your core is certainly salvagable though, don't just toss out all that work. Just rip off a bit on the sides and glue on new wood. Or you could cut the side cut into the core and glue some new boards on like "pre-sidewalls". I've seen people do that too (no real reason, just looks cool)
OAC

Post by OAC »

Behave twizz! :)
FOG = Freakin Old Guy!
You need to be over 48 (years).
Our demands are:
Large and informative pictures
Easy explained and proper writing
Etc, etc, etc.....
:) :) :) :)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

chrismp wrote:
doughboyshredder wrote: I think I am going to cut out the damaged section, and the corresponding section in the other binding areas and replace them with sections of core stock oriented width wise instead of lengthwise. I forget who I saw do this before.
probably burton ;)
Yup it's Burton...... And light passes through the planer.
shopvac

Post by shopvac »

3mm would completely stop our planer. I think you are going to like that planer once you dial it in. Sounds like a freakin' sweet machine.
doughboyshredder

Planers don't like plastic. Or maybe they just don't like me.

Bastards. Core profile came out pretty good. Sidewalls didn't fair so well on the tips.

I'll post some pics later on, but I'm getting really tired of this nonsense. I think I'm going to hardwood sidewalls from here on out.

Plastic sucks anyway.
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

Profile plastic sheet, then rip into sidewall strips on table saw.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

small cut passes this time?
doughboyshredder

iggyskier wrote:Profile plastic sheet, then rip into sidewall strips on table saw.
That's exactly what I would do if I was using the same profile on more than just one custom built.
doughboyshredder

MontuckyMadman wrote:small cut passes this time?
miniscule passes. I mean really small.

I think the issue is that once the sidewall gets below 3mm thick the plastic heats up enough to warp just a tiny bit which allows the cutting knife to grab it.
doughboyshredder

This is getting downright comical.

I have always been really shitty with numbers. Somehow I got 25.1 minus 1.2 equals 24.9.
:D

Core with sidewalls is 1 centimeter too wide. Pulled damaged sidewalls off and am reshaping the core. the level of ridiculousness is getting out of hand. If I ever get this board done it will be a miracle.