Elan factory video

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

chrismp

Elan factory video

Post by chrismp »

The biggest snowboard factory in the world opens up their gates:

http://vimeo.com/6941959

50% faster layup? Yeah right, if I film myself during layup and speed up the video I can do that too 8)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Quickly viewed the video... I saw one part where they were cleaning the edges and looked they were using a spindle sanding type machine. I thought maybe I should get one.

Then remembered I have a spindle sanding bit for my drill press that will do the trick. Maybe better than using the belt sander like I do now.
OAC

Post by OAC »

I think, if we watch these videos, we will end up buying a whole ski building factory! :)
I sometimes watch the other Elan video on their homepage and just dooling over the core profiler. It takes 2 secs! (the profiling)
falls

Post by falls »

Imagine if we all lived close enough together what we could have built if everyone had invested their money in one setup! A ski building cooperative!
One awesome planer, one awesome CNC, a few awesome presses etc etc
I sometimes feel bad that my ski press spends >99.99% of its time sitting idle!
Then again we'd have to talk to each other in real life! Scary!
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

falls wrote: Then again we'd have to talk to each other in real life! Scary!
Haha! I think most of us would get along just fine :) There are just those few troublemakers :)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

falls wrote:Imagine if we all lived close enough together what we could have built if everyone had invested their money in one setup! A ski building cooperative!
One awesome planer, one awesome CNC, a few awesome presses etc etc
I sometimes feel bad that my ski press spends >99.99% of its time sitting idle!
Then again we'd have to talk to each other in real life! Scary!
Wow, what a concept! Never thought of it that way. No doubt we could put a multiple styles of skis and boards. So much variety!
doughboyshredder

Re: Elan factory video

Post by doughboyshredder »

chrismp wrote:The biggest snowboard factory in the world opens up their gates:

50% faster layup? Yeah right, if I film myself during layup and speed up the video I can do that too 8)
It takes me less than 15 minutes for a full layup with carbon fiber multiple vds, etc.

When I was in production a standard layup was less than 5 minutes. That's base, vds, glass, core, tip tail spacers, glass, topsheet. Lowest time I ever nailed was 3 minutes 21 seconds. I ran 3 presses one day, and built something like 71 boards. I held the record for most boards pressed in a shift until I got fired for playing a drum roll on this girls tits using a pair of sidewalls. :D
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

doughboyshredder wrote:
chrismp wrote:The biggest snowboard factory in the world opens up their gates:

It takes me less than 15 minutes for a full layup with carbon fiber multiple vds, etc.

When I was in production a standard layup was less than 5 minutes. That's base, vds, glass, core, tip tail spacers, glass, topsheet. Lowest time I ever nailed was 3 minutes 21 seconds. I ran 3 presses one day, and built something like 71 boards. I held the record for most boards pressed in a shift until I got fired for playing a drum roll on this girls tits using a pair of sidewalls. :D
LOL! I guess the company had no sense of humor!

But back on topic, that's pretty impressive layup time.
OAC

Post by OAC »

doughboyshredder wrote:.... I held the record for most boards pressed in a shift until I got fired for playing a drum roll on this girls tits using a pair of sidewalls. :D
Performance costs!
:D
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

burton got a new R&D facility. check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOUbzwmtP-A

i like the fully adjustable molds.
falls

Post by falls »

until I got fired for playing a drum roll on this girls tits using a pair of sidewalls
I thought that kind of thing would be pretty standard in the snowboard industry!
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

My first board was a Craig Kelly 156, I loved that damn thing. The heart and soul of Burton is actually so NOT that though, but hey that press is amazing. I'm putting linear bearings in our press this weekend so I can slide it out. Yeah, layup takes me about 15min too...I just mosey along. I wish you monkeys would come over for beers. We could have had an amazing factory for the time and money we've spent individually. For sure. Were the boobs permanently damaged?!?
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

We could have had an amazing factory for the time and money we've spent individually. For sure. Were the boobs permanently damaged?!?
Work out some kind of loose co-operative. Share internet space and other resources. Essentially, leverage the fact that you are a group doing different things in different locations and make it a positive issue for sales. Just a thought ;)
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Brazen wrote:. Were the boobs permanently damaged?!?
Ha ha ha, no, but my reputation sure took a hit.
I will never forget the look on her face. I don't think I have ever seen anyone that shocked since. Jaw dropped, eyes burning. She turned around and marched right to the office. I was out the door the next day. Actually I think I was sent home on the spot, but canned the next day.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

funneh. Im my mind it went down as a consensual act that you were caught in the middle of enacting. Much funnier your way.