sno cad x issues ----- help!!!!

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Set internet explore as the default. pop up blocker off. real time virus protection off. nothing helps. Can't make it work.

Fack me.
OAC

Post by OAC »

Do you have (or access to) another computer?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Maybe you've tried these things aleady but if not..... Go to Internet explore and then to internet options, click program tab, click manage Add-ons. Check that java is enabled and all the java plugins are enabled.

I have a friend who does a lot of work on pc's. Ill run this by him. So you're running Window 7 64 bit with 32 bit java? What version of Internet Explorer are you running?
doughboyshredder

skidesmond wrote:Maybe you've tried these things aleady but if not..... Go to Internet explore and then to internet options, click program tab, click manage Add-ons. Check that java is enabled and all the java plugins are enabled.

I have a friend who does a lot of work on pc's. Ill run this by him. So you're running Window 7 64 bit with 32 bit java? What version of Internet Explorer are you running?
IE 8 32 bit with 32 bit java.
I will check to make sure all plugins are enabled. Hadn't done that.
doughboyshredder

no luck.

guess I'll try my laptop. Haven't turned it on in months.
doughboyshredder

o.k. it has nothing to do with snocad.

I tried java notepad (web start application) and I have the same exact issues.
sammer

Post by sammer »

doughboy...
You've probably already tried this but
Uninstall java, reboot your computer and reinstall it.
I had a similar problem a while back.
If you just try to download it and install it again it will not work.
not sure but there's probably a missing dll or something in you java file.
just a thought.
If you've already tried it never mind.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

sammer wrote:doughboy...
You've probably already tried this but
Uninstall java, reboot your computer and reinstall it.
I had a similar problem a while back.
If you just try to download it and install it again it will not work.
not sure but there's probably a missing dll or something in you java file.
just a thought.
If you've already tried it never mind.

sam
Good idea. DBS - Is this a new computer or did you upgrade to Win 7 IE 8 yourself? I had problems w/ IE 8, kept disabling Norton Antivirus so I went back to IE 7. I use Chrome mostly now.

My buddy is going to try to re-create your problem on his pc tonight.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

No luck. My friend tried sno-cadx on his PC with the same configuration as you have and it worked for him.

As Sammer suggested remove Java and then re-install it. After the re-install, reboot. Come to think of it I did have some problems w/ sno-cadx a over the summer where it acted erratic. I updated Java and re-installed sno-cadx. I'm assuming the problem occurred when MS did an auto install of some updates to windows. It's not the first time the auto install of updates has messed up my machine. I'm running Vista.
OAC

Post by OAC »

skidesmond wrote: I'm assuming the problem occurred when MS did an auto install of some updates to windows. It's not the first time the auto install of updates has messed up my machine. I'm running Vista.
Switch to Linux(Ubuntu) ;)
doughboyshredder

I have tried everything I can think of. Searched around the net, and am at a complete loss. It's not just snocad, it's all java based web start applications. I think it is a security issue, but with all of my security features turned off I still have the issue. Uninstalled and reinstalled java multiple times.

OAC, can I run linux on the same machine, and switch between operating systems? I think I read something about this, but it seems pretty difficult to do? I have way too many windows based programs (excel, word, quickbooks, sitebuilder, etc...) to get rid of windows.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

using ubuntu is easy as pie! just download the cd image from ubuntu.com and burn it.
then restart your pc with the cd inserted and follow the install instructions. it will install next to windows and lets you select which one to use on startup.
i'm using it as well and love it! takes a little getting used to but not a lot more than the switch between different windows versions.
OAC

Post by OAC »

doughboyshredder wrote: OAC, can I run linux on the same machine, and switch between operating systems? I think I read something about this, but it seems pretty difficult to do? I have way too many windows based programs (excel, word, quickbooks, sitebuilder, etc...) to get rid of windows.
Yes, as chrismp states the installation helps you thru the installation. But if you feel unsecure you...do you know someone you can call?
But as always, take backups!
The installation will make two partitions, one Linux and one windows. So you will have all your windows stuff on the windows partition.
But when you have start using Linux you wont go back..;)
All the programs you use in windows have an eqvivalent in Linux. OpenOffice (word, excel) and so on. If you want to use windows programs in Linux you can run most of them in "wine". A Linux program that let you run windows apps. Faster!:)
The only drawback is, which is infact bad :( , is the lack of easy CAD programs (if you don't consider SketchUp as a CAD p.) If you need more details you can PM me.

Don't hesitate, you're a skibuilder! :)
doughboyshredder

OAC wrote:[

Don't hesitate, you're a skibuilder! :)
hELLZ Yeah. This community is so rad. I bet we could pretty much build anything if we put our collective thought processes to work. I am sure other d.i.y. communities feel the same way, but there is so much that goes in to this process, and so many talented individuals on here, it's pretty awesome.

I am currently burning a backup of my computer and am going to give ubuntu a shot. I have been thinking of Linux for a long time, but never felt my computer skills were quite up to the task. Now that I have built a couple desktops from scratch I think I can pull it off.

The reviews of Ubuntu are pretty stellar also.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

the only times i switch back to windows these days is for my DJ software and CAD (rhino).