posting pictures

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

G-man

posting pictures

Post by G-man »

Okay, more confessions. I'm ready to post some pictures of skis, my press, and other things, but, I can't figure out how to do it... and I don't want to make a mess of the site with my trial and fail efforts. I've read the instructions under the FAQ section, but much of that is confusing to me. I've done a search of the site and can't find where this question has been addressed before, although, I'm betting that there has been a discussion somewhere. I've read some stuff about posting a pic at Ttips.com, but, it doesn't look to be applicable here. If anybody has time to give me a little guidance, I'd sure appreciate it. I use a Mac. Thanks.

G-man
collin

Post by collin »

Posting pics here is the same as posting on Ttips, but without having something like "Telemark Photos" where you can upload your photos.

The easiest thing to do would be to sign up for a Flickr account and use that to post photos. After signing up and uploading the pics you want to post, click on the all sizes button above one of the pictures and then choose the size you want to post. At the bottom of the page it'll tell you the static link for the pic.

Eg:
I uploaded a pic of my explosiv's, clicked on "all sizes", then clicked on the thumbnail size. It gave me this static url: http://static.flickr.com/47/170420040_3432e90c6a_t.jpg

So I then use the "img" button here to get:
{img} http://static.flickr.com/47/170420040_3432e90c6a_t.jpg {/img}

{with square brackets instead of curly brackets}

And you should get a pic:

The automatic resizing thing is nice cause you can post a smaller pic and then just have a link back to the "photo page" for that picture if some one wants to look at a pigger pic. Like this page for the pic above.

Cheers.
------------------Take nothing I say as expert advice------------------
collin

Post by collin »

I forgot to mention that Flickr organizes pics by "tags," meaning labels. And a pic can have more than one tag. So you can tag all you ski pics with "skis" or "ski_biulding" {I think tags can't have spaces, could be wrong} and then say tag some of them "swallowtail" for example, if they're swallowtail pow skis. So you can have a link to a set of pics with the same tag, eg "swallowtail".

Oh, and post your pics. I want to see them. 8)
------------------Take nothing I say as expert advice------------------
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

Collin explained it pretty well.

I had it explained to me like this.....

1. the image has to be hosted somewhere else. (TTips, flickr, whereever)

2. right click & select proporties (or control click on a mac) on the image to to get the image URL.

3. copy the image URL into your post on this forum.

4. highlight the image URL then click on the "Img" button at the top of the post a reply screen. This places the image commands at either end of the url. You can also just type the Image. I do.

Should look like this: Image

Click Preview & see if it works.

Troubles I've had with images:

Webshots.com somehow configures their URL so they don't work.

Once I was using the URL of an image that was in a user account that I had to log into to view. It wouldn't show up until I went and found that same image from the public side of the site. (without logging in).

Hope this helps too.

-J
G-man

Post by G-man »

Thanks very much Collin and Hose-man. I'm headed out the door to go skiing for a couple of days. I'll give the picture posting a shot when I get back.

G-man