I can't decide which EPOXY

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

brazgotine

I can't decide which EPOXY

Post by brazgotine »

Hello (THIS IS THE BEST FORUM EVER !!!),
I went to my local EPOXY shop and give them some idea what kind of epoxy I need. I am going to make back country / powder skies, with dimensions,
126 / 130 / 119 / 140 / 129. I need god FLEX and strength in skies. We come up with two epoxies, but I can't chose the right one. I will use heating blanket.

These are two files (two different epoxies):

rapidshare . com/ files/ 429010696/ LY113_HY98_GB

rapidshare . com/ files/ 429010803/ LY1564SP_hardener_XB3486_XB3487_GB

P.S. You have to remove space lines and at the end add = .pdf
And thank you for your replaying !!!!
brazgotine

:)))

Post by brazgotine »

Hey ?
Why am I alone on this post ?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Lots of people use different epoxies (QCM, West,...). I've never heard of RenLam. What did the local shop recommend? Will you be using heat? I use QCM resin emv-0049 and qcm hardener eca-032, no heat but heat can be used with it. Do a comparison between the 2. If they match up you can probably use it.

I'm no expert though.....
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

if the epoxy is suited for compression molding and has a medium viscosity you are good to go.
You will have to test them as they are all different.
brazgotine

TX

Post by brazgotine »

@skidesmond = I am sorry, yes I will use heat - blanket. I made it my self. I will write about my setup soon !

@MontuckyMadman = at the end I bought 6,7 kilograms = LY1564SP_hardener_XB3486_XB3487_GB !

Thank you for replay !!!
ColoradoBC

Post by ColoradoBC »

Hi skidesmond, have you seen any long term problems with curing EMV-0049 at room temperature? Any delamination or flex issues? I recently got quotes from hi-heat and MEI ranging $400-$600 for a two ski press size blanket. I have been looking at QCM products and also read the QCM epoxy Q&A article on this site which strongly recommends curing around 180deg F.

thoughts guys? would love to hear more about your long term experiences with different epoxies at different temps. Thanks!
-J
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

No problems so far, other than user error. When I talked to QCM they recommended using heat for the best results, but said using Resin EMV-0049 and hardener ECA-032B will work ok at room temp. I don't know how long it takes to set. I usually press over night, 8-10 hrs. I warm up the resin and hardener for a couple hours with a heat lamp before layup so the resin flows more easily. Hope this helps.