Bamboo Core Construction

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

grace ski

Bamboo Core Construction

Post by grace ski »

Does anyone have a tried and true Bamboo Core "glue" that works in building up vertically laminated bamboo cores? I have vertically laminated bamboo in planks but need to make them wider.

Thanks in advance..
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Wouldn't wood glue work? FYI-I did a lot of research on glue and the titebond 3 has the strongest bond. I was using Gorilla polyurethane at twice the cost. As noted in other posts on here I would plane the edges first, no sanding.

How is the press coming?
thefreshpimpofbigair

Post by thefreshpimpofbigair »

titebond III.
amen.
grace ski

Core glue

Post by grace ski »

I was concerned with the heat in the press. I was told the Entropy Resin I might use for the lay up is a very solid wood glue as well. I will look into TITEBOND III and the 3M tapes. See what pans out
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

COsurfer wrote:Wouldn't wood glue work?
Perfectly, I use regular Titebond wood glue to build cores using bamboo flooring and hardwoods.
COsurfer wrote: As noted in other posts on here I would plane the edges first, no sanding.
Not so. Planing bamboo has proven difficult for me. I just rip it on the table saw using a 24 tooth rip blade. I use a router and template to prep the bamboo for sidewall blocks, no planer.

FYI, I use Titebond 3 on the binding mounting screws. This stuff cross links and is really strong, great for securing screws into bamboo.

-S
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

I have used Titebond III when gluing up my bamboo sidewalls with excellent results. It has a longer open working time which is nice if you need it.
Buuk

Post by Buuk »

We use vertically laminated bamboo sheet material for our skis with great succes. Check www.bmb-ski.nl (English on the right top)

Buuk
Make things as simple as possible, but not too simple