Adjustable Planer Crib

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

Adjustable Planer Crib

Post by skidesmond »

For the last few weeks I've been put-zing around designing a planer crib that can accommodate different length skis. Even as I write this I'm still toying around with other designs. But this seems to be working so far.

The first 2 designs had their problems but either one could have worked if I wanted to spend more time and money on them but I cut my losses and this current design seems to be working.

It's basically 2 adjustable wedges on a platform. One wedge is for the front and one for the back. The front wedge goes from 10 mm to 2mm over a distance of 24 inches. I have an extender for the front that is 10mm thick and about 6 in long. The back wedge is also 10mm to 2 mm over a distance of 22 inches. The back wedge has a flat area at the 10cm area that is about 60mm long.

I made 2 sets of 152cm core, 174cm core and a 180cm core using this crib.

Here's some pics:

This pic is the planer crib with the 2 wedges in place and the platform in the middle. The middle platform is 2 pieces of 1/8in hardboard screwed to the 3/4 plywood base:

Length shot:

The underside of the plywood has hardwood runners (3/4in x 3/4in) to add strength so it doesn't flex. The recessed holes in the plywood aren't necessary, they were left from a previous design.

The front wedge goes from 10mm to 2 mm (not including the hardboard covering the strips of wood.). There's also an extender piece that's 10mm thick. This extender is for making full length wood cores when not using tip spacers. If you're using tip spacers you don't need the extender, but does hurt to leave it.

Pic of the crib setup for a 152cm core. The finished core is 2-9.5-3:

Pic of the crib setup for a 180cm core. The finished core is 3-12-3:

Planer crib and how I use it:

I lay out my markings on the ski core for the center of the running length (CRL) , I use a set back of 50mm and I mark this also (CRL+50). I also mark where the beginning of the tip and tail start. Most of my skis have a tip length of 140mm and tail of 60 mm. I line up the CRL+50 mark on the core with the CRL+50 mark on the crib. Then I slide the front an back wedges to the proper place of where the tip and tail start.

I used hot glue to tack the corner of the tips down so they stayed flat.

Pic of the cores and crib:

Even though there are some areas on the crib that do not support part of the core, the core is still thick enough in that area so you will get a nice even taper.

Future enhancements .... I may make the wedges so they slide, right now they can be adjust in increments of 2.5 cm. Also I may consider covering the top of the crib with 1/8in hardboard and have the wedges slide underneath it. Details to be worked out......

So now I can get back to the Cheetah and Dachshund build! ;)