Mervin Tour

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

nfaust

Mervin Tour

Post by nfaust »

Pretty cool new video from Mervin, highlighting some of their materials and equipment.

Check it out:
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

Strenght of Titanium....hahahaha.

Also thought it is funny that they are the last major snowboard mfg in the US....guess Never Summer doesn't count.
White Thrash Wednesday

Post by White Thrash Wednesday »

"ten times the strength of titanium" for the top sheet. Whoa thats a lot!
I´m such a nerd... I just had to compare the statement:

Ultimate strenght:

Titanium= 540 MPa
Carbon fiber prepreg =1800-2260 MPa
"Bean topsheet"= 540x10=5400MPa

The stiffness for the bean top sheet is about 5000 Mpa, so they probably mixed it up.

Conclusion: Strength is not equal to stiffness.

Cool video anyway. I always dreamed of having a Libtec board back in the early 90´s, the 200 cm Dough Boy. That was something !
/Johan
Making skiing Green.
powderho

Post by powderho »

I had no idea Mervin was such a cool company. After they told me 100 times it started to set in though.

It was cool to see how they glued on their edges using weights instead of clamps. I really wanted to see how they made their sidewalls....or is slimewalls? I can't remember which company that is, I'm a 2 planker wanker.
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

I liked the weights aswell. I may have to build something like that for myself, would beat having to space the core off the table to make room for the 10,000 clamps i tend to use keeping the edges in place

-Jacob