Ski Design and Legal Implications

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Mongo

Ski Design and Legal Implications

Post by Mongo »

Here is a good read regarding the whole "who invented rocker/early rise/5 point design/etc." Haven't seen it posted here yet, but provides some decent analysis regarding both the existing claims and relative infringements.

http://www.gnolls.org/557/alpine-ski-pa ... ing-world/
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Interesting read. If anyone has done searches on the USA patent website you'll find some ridiculous patents and many to the avg person, like me, seem to be almost identical. I'm all for protecting "original" material. But like the article mentions skis have been around for thousands of years.

By the time the lawsuit is settled rockered skis will be a thing of the past and another innovation will take it's place.

Seems silly that patents were ever granted for obvious ideas. If you have a good product people will buy it.

As usual, the ones to stand to profit out of this will be the lawyers, nothing to lose and everything to gain.
OAC

Post by OAC »

No one patented "the ski"?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

OAC wrote:No one patented "the ski"?
:D thought about it.... But I'm going for the wheel instead.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Great read, thanks for the link!
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Thick. Apparently Armada has an investor that's an attorney. Worse: He's figured out how to squeeze the last dollar out of Armada and take as much of everyone else's money too as they all go down in a free for all "who has the most lawyer money" bitch fest. Hot coffee anyone? I did say hot...on the label. HOT COFFEE.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
SkiTheNortheast

Post by SkiTheNortheast »

does anyone know if anything has come out of this since? are companies still sending out cease and desist letters?