fiberglass NEED some advice...

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

leboeuf

fiberglass NEED some advice...

Post by leboeuf »

All,
I bought about 5 yards of triax fiberglass from raka. It is 50 inches wide.

I just noticed that the longitudinal fibers are running along the 50 inch distance and not the 5 yard distance..... :(

My question is: Can I use 2 shorter sections of glass and just overlap them in the middle of the ski?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated. I can't imagine that it would create any major problems but if you guys think this will make a shitty ski let me know.
leboeuf

Post by leboeuf »

I was looking over my order and I got the "Triaxial 22oz w/no mat x0 x + 45 x - 45 x 50 in."

I thought 0x meant in the direction of the roll and not across it?

Is my thinking correct? Hopefully if raka messed up and sold me 90/+45/-45 I can get them to remedy the situation...
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

The 0 degree should be in the warp, or long axis, direction running parallel with the stitching. Call them up and get them to take care of it as I don't see anything on their website that matches what you have described. They might have sent you a pain weave or 2 by 2 in a higher weight by accident too...
leboeuf

Post by leboeuf »

Thanks for the input Mongo.

So I called Raka. They told me I could keep it if I payed shipping on the new glass, or I could return it and they'd cover the shipping on everything. Shipping is $15 so I just kept it.

I guess all my skis will have an extra patch of glass for bindings...