East coast supplies

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MLReed05

East coast supplies

Post by MLReed05 »

Looking for a supplier for edges and 22oz triaxial glass...any recommendations?
G-man

Post by G-man »

I'm not sure whether you would consider Florida "East Coast" or not, but raka.com has 22 oz. triax for $11.75 per yard (50" wide). I don't know of any edge suppliers in the East, but I'm always looking and I'll post any results that I come with.

G-man
kerlandsen

Post by kerlandsen »

G-man,

I am about to get into this project. Not sure if the family will approve, but I cannot resist.
I will have to determine dimensions for east coast conditions. Any pointers? Keep in mind that my teles for the last four seasons have been 188 K2 4's that were brand new when I started.

I am investigating the materials aspect of this project and wonder if there is stuff that you were forced to buy large quantities that you want to unload.

As fars buying fiberglass, check out a marine store in your area. Quick and inexpensive too.

Kyle
G-man

Post by G-man »

Hi kerlandsen,

Glad to hear that you are about to get under way. Remember that you still have to leave time to sleep and eat... I sorta forgot to do that for awhile.

I've never skied east coast conditions before, just read and heard the stories that seem to indicate that it can get pretty icy. So, I'll just mention a couple of things that I've noticed when conditions get a bit firm around here. A wider ski can really take a toll on ankles and knees on hard snow... even after just an hour or so of hard charging. Quite simply, on hard snow, it just takes alot of effort to get a wide ski over on edge and hold it there through a turn... and there is a lot of amplified feedback from the hard snow surface to the joints and muscles of the lower extremities. Also, a wide ski doesn't hold an edge so well in hard conditions and is slower to get from edge to edge through the turns. So, I'd suggest a ski that is more in the range of 110/85/100 for mostly firm conditions (even narrower overall wouldn't hurt). You'll also probably want to design your ski so that you get increased tip and tail edge engagement. I would suggest doing this by increasing the tip and tail core profile just a bit (like from 2mm to 3mm) in order to stiffen up the tip and tail flex. Definately use a triaxial composite matrix (with fibers at a +45 and -45 orientation) to increase the torsional flex. Because your ski probably won't be 'settling' into the snow very much during a turn, I'd say that you'd do better with a ski that has an overall stiffer flex and not a lot of side cut... that should give you more uniform edge pressure along the entire length of the ski when on hard snow. Depending on your weight, a bit more camber could be your friend here in helping to get additional pressure to the tip and tail edges. The overall stiffness of the ski can be adjusted by your choice of core and composite materials/weights. Every builder/skier has varying opinions on this topic and they are all valid and worth considering. I hope others will add their viewpoints to this discussion.

Regarding materials, check out the "CDW for edges" thread in the "materials" section. They will sell you edges and VDS foil in whatever quantities you want, as will snowboardmaterials.com (SBM.com also sells base, top sheet and inserts in small quantities).

Good luck on getting the family approval. Try telling them that you'll build them all a brand new, shiny pair of skis... you've probably done that already.

G-man