How to stay in touch

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Brazen

How to stay in touch

Post by Brazen »

Ok, that freaked me out. I don't want to lose track of our community. brazensnowboards@gmail.com
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

this place is going down in flames.
what a shame.
Maybe we can make a donation type thing to get this on a reliable database and server.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
strangesnowboarding

Post by strangesnowboarding »

i couldnt have said it better myself guys.
i will be documenting our progress thru the website from now on
www.strangesnowboarding.com
and our blog
http://heavyshred.blogspot.com/

the skibuilders forum has been a huge instrument in helping us wrap our minds around this process. i continue to be excited as more and more builders become "ski/snowboard smiths" and an opensource research library can only push the limits of our sport, builds, and lifestyle.
im down with donations to get better server coverage but that might not be the whole issue.
until we have something else i will continue to add my input where appropriate and hopefully we can work through issues together.

tom
tom@strangesnowboarding.com
nightmare
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

Hmm... I haven’t been paying close attention to this place lately, but this cryptic thread got my attention. What’s the problem? Why is this place “going down in flames”??!!

If there is some issue with money to keep the site running, it’s not an issue. I’ll take care of it. Forever. Just someone let me know what needs doing.
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Head Monkey wrote:Hmm... I haven’t been paying close attention to this place lately, but this cryptic thread got my attention. What’s the problem? Why is this place “going down in flames”??!!

If there is some issue with money to keep the site running, it’s not an issue. I’ll take care of it. Forever. Just someone let me know what needs doing.
Constant crashing, server issues, etc.....

Awesome offer, btw.
tufty

Post by tufty »

First off, I'd like to say a big thank you to whoever is hosting the site at the moment. And to the various moderators, who do a lot of work behind the scenes that most users never see or appreciate.

That said, there appears to be a fair amount of work that's pretty much required.

Most urgent would be updating the version of PHPBB that's running, as it's massively out of date and vulnerable to *trivial* "script kiddie" hacks[1]. This is quite a lot of work to do, as it means setting up a shadow server for testing, and then migrating stuff over.

Along with that, there's probably a database upgrade and / or cleanup required.

That costs money, if nothing else in terms of person-hours to do it all.

If the database and version of PHPBB are provided as part of a hosting deal, and the hosting suppliers won't / can't upgrade, than that means finding a new host or contract. That could cost real money.

Afterwards, there's the issue of ongoing back-end maintenance, which doesn't appear to have been done previously. Again, that costs money, or requires finding someone who's willing to do it for free.

Simon

[1] I would speculate that the session database corruption that's been buggering the forum for us recently may be the result of the system being "probed". Most of the extant hacks for this version are session data manipulations (and some of which can result in administrator access without having an account)
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Yeah what he said. Needs updates and stuff. Im down to thrown down a bit of my so called spare cash to a fund to make updates as well.
The other day it was down for a while. Like all day. Many times i go to post and get an error. I have taken to copieing my post prior to submitting because i get thwarted so often.
kidde hacks taking down the site with probed atacks is never good. Maybe a rehost and new ip addy could help to deflect it for a bit.
i have a list of people not to use for this type of thing.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

Lemme contact Kelvin and see what’s up. I suspect it’s a matter of time and effort, and perhaps they’re just too busy. My wife, however, is not too busy and is completely qualified to do all of this. She’s willing to do it, so I’ll offer up her free time and see if there is anything we can do to help.
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
G-man

Post by G-man »

I also only check in only periodically now-a-days, and haven't noted any glitches with the site... not that I have to skills or know-how to do anything about it even if I did notice a problem.

I think that the main reason I was asked to be a moderator back in the early days was that I had a pretty consistent presence on the Ski Builders site back then, not because I had the skills or experience to be an effective moderator. Life is much busier for me now, and maybe I've figured out that I don't really fit in with the 'social networking' thing so well, so I spend a lot less time on some of my formerly favorite forums. And, when I've felt that a particular Ski Builders thread could maybe use some degree of moderating, the participants eventually ended up self-moderating in a quite admirable fashion.

As I posted a few months ago, at this time, I'm really quite ineffective as a moderator for this site, so I would gladly pass off the title to someone who has the time and skills to actually moderate. I'll continue to be a lurker.

I've been building and selling about 3 pair of skis per week for the past few months, and had to stop taking orders a few weeks ago so I could get caught up on the orders I already had. I had thought at one time that a ski builder would get to ski a whole bunch... ha! The reality is very little time to ski... or sleep. Still lots of surprises even after 6 years of working out the kinks. Getting close now to where I'd like to be, and when I actually get there, I'll post the results. Keeping it local and close to home for now.

Cheers,

G-man
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

Sorry for the site performance. Our host company is getting worse and worse and they do not seem to be able to do anything about it. We are going to switch hosts and hopefully have a whole new website as well. However, we have all been crazy busy lately and haven't had as much time as we would like to dedicate to the site.

Anyways, thanks for you patience, and continued contribution to the forums.

Even though we haven't updated or had much time to post, we are still very excited about making skis, and the website, and forum.

Thanks.
-kelvin
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Glad to hear the founding fathers still have the excitement behind it to keep it going! I don't have experience in maintaining websites but I do have experience in databases (on the mainframe and open systems) if that helps at all.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Head Monkey wrote: If there is some issue with money to keep the site running, it’s not an issue. I’ll take care of it. Forever. Just someone let me know what needs doing.
I am also more than willing to support financially if it comes down to that. This forum has become quite the family and it must persist.
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

twizzstyle wrote:
Head Monkey wrote: If there is some issue with money to keep the site running, it’s not an issue. I’ll take care of it. Forever. Just someone let me know what needs doing.
I am also more than willing to support financially if it comes down to that. This forum has become quite the family and it must persist.
I know this post is slightly dated. I also know I dont post much. But I do my fair share of reading and wanted to offer up server space if its needed and Head Monkey can't be reached. I've got plenty of it.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

If the forum goes down in flames you can find me on facebook by searching for christian pangerl :?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Wow, that was a close call, glad the site is back...

fyi desmond313@charter.net
skidesmond@gmail.com

Finally (and reluctantly) on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002406333361
Last edited by skidesmond on Tue May 10, 2011 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.