Edges twist -_-

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

kipi

Edges twist -_-

Post by kipi »

Hello,

Did anyone had a problem with edges getting a twist (like a Fusilli pasta shape) after bending?

Im using the skibuilders bender and i succeed to get to almost prefect shape of the edges to match the outline of the base. so after layup the edges has no chance to pop out or something, they are exactly in shape. but i discovered i do have a problem.. i saw in boards ridden more the 2 weeks that there is a small separation between the edges and the fiberglass, it happens only in the tip and tail. then i realized that the twist the edges get after bending makes them trapped in constant pressure (not outside but upwards).
in my last board i tried to twist them back to flat but i couldnt.. it just ruined the shape.

I hope you understand what i meant...
Does anyone has a solution? what do you guys do to prevent the twist?

Thanks!!!!
Kipi ;)
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I use a proper edge bender that I built myself. The bender they describe on the SB main site is pretty deficient in my opinion. Mine has adjustable radius and keeps the edge perfectly flat throughout the entire bend.

http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... highlight=
sammer

Post by sammer »

I think the problem is when you bend the tip and tail upturn ( for want of a better word).
My edges bend fine on a plane
(thanks twiz for the bender drawing. Got one built by a friend of a friend for a couple bottles of wine :) Stainless :) )
But after they are attached to the base and I'm bending them into the mold they kinda go out of plane twisting so that the ends are higher than the rest, causing the bases to buckle a bit at the tip and tail.
It's something Ive been working on improving.
Sometimes they come out OK but most times I get a concavity right at the tip/tail and at the end of the running length on either side of the base.
I'll post some pics tomorrow as its hard to describe.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Anneal your edges. That's what I think.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Sammer,

I know what you are taking about - I've seen the same thing once or twice.

Can't say I'm sure what the problem was, but I would have noticed if I was making pasta. One thing that changed with the cassette was the cross bar at the end of the cassette. Depending on the length of the cassette and overhang, I've held a suspicion that the very end of the tip almost acts like a fulcum for the top of the cassette. The cross bar at the end of the cassette limits this potential?

Can't say it is the solution, can't say I am right, but the cost is zero rated : )
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Sammer,

I know what you are taking about - I've seen the same thing once or twice.

Can't say I'm sure what the problem was, but I would have noticed if I was making pasta. One thing that changed with the cassette was the cross bar at the end of the cassette. Depending on the length of the cassette and overhang, I've held a suspicion that the very end of the tip almost acts like a fulcum for the top of the cassette. The cross bar at the end of the cassette limits this potential?

Can't say it is the solution, can't say I am right, but the cost is zero rated : )