22oz triax, not all the same, not even close

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

knightsofnii

22oz triax, not all the same, not even close

Post by knightsofnii »

Half the so called 22oz samples i've gotten from various suppliers, a few who supply the same brand, sent me samples and they were all different. I even had V2 send me two different weights that were the exact same thing, so they say, but the strands were HUGE and the stitching was too loose and too far apart.

I've been scouring the globe in search of something that resembles a nice thin strand, tightly packed 22.1 or 22.4 oz triax. I've used Owens Corning CDB200, Vectoryply, and apparently V2 but now i'm not so sure about V2 because they dont even seem to know what they have.

Vectorply's been tough because they want like 10 bucks a meter for it, even for a whole roll.

Just wondering if anyone else is having this frustration when trying to source the right fiberglass.

So anyway, V2 and Fiberex are out, anyone know where to get Owens Corning CDB200?
Doug
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

I've been using Composites One, if anyone can help you I think it would be them. Todd Johnson, 619-823-9140 is my rep here in SD, and I'm sure he can refer you to the "right" guy.

Good luck!

Brett
powderho

Re: 22oz triax, not all the same, not even close

Post by powderho »

knightsofnii wrote: So anyway, V2 and Fiberex are out, anyone know where to get Owens Corning CDB200?
I got some Owens Corning in a so-called 22oz/yd weight from Raka. I'm not sure without looking at the label if its the CDB200 or not. I ordered a 12" wide slice off a full roll which I paid $5 more to have them slice in half. I was very impressed with the glass at first. It's tough stuff that barely frays at all and wets out easily. It's very easy to work with compared to Vectorply--which frays all over and is super delicate. I have my doubts about the Owens glass though. I've used it in three pair and all came out torsionally twisted. I don't know the exact cause of it, but the glass is in my top three suspicions. If it is the glass, it could be just a weird batch. A lot of builders use Owens Corning, right?

I've ordered 22oz/yd glass from Raka 4 times. Every time I get something different. The glass has varied from around 20oz/yd to over 25oz/yd.
Sherpa Burns

Post by Sherpa Burns »

check with fiberglasssupply.com I didn't see the triax in their online catalog, but when I called them they had it. I have used it quite a bit and really like it. Pricing was less than Vectorply and you have the ability to buy any length whereas Vectorply requires you to buy a whole roll.
Sherpa Burns

Post by Sherpa Burns »

check with fiberglasssupply.com I didn't see the triax in their online catalog, but when I called them they had it. I have used it quite a bit and really like it. Pricing was less than Vectorply and you have the ability to buy any length whereas Vectorply requires you to buy a whole roll.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

The triax from fiberglass supply is listed here:

http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Product ... brics.html

They list it as a 19 oz material. That's what I've been using.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

we pressed 10 pair with the owens stuff at 22oz.
Non were twisted.
The stuff is really tough and stiff. I never weighed it so I don't know but the boards were wayyyyy stiffer than any other with 22oz including the vectroply.
Fiberglass supply is not vectroply glass.
they have 22oz but you have to ask for it.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

the stuff fiberglasssupply sent me a couple months ago (one sample 22oz triax, another 20 oz triax) they claimed was from V2 composites.

22oz sample and also the 20oz sample were both way thicker strands, double in size or more, and packed together way more loosely than the roll i had last got from somewhere else, where the prior owner claimed was also V2.

I'm not saying this stuff cant be used... I now have a ton of it and will have to sell some, just the results with what I've been using in the past is what makes our boards, our boards. It might make a great board/ski but i doubt it would flex the same or look as pretty under the topsheet.

But I know that OC CDB200 is the same as what i like...
Doug
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

Just rejected some samples of 22oz and 20oz from Raka as well.
They have refrained from telling me what brand it is.
Cant tell from the small patches they sent whether or not its good, but I know its nowhere near as good as what we currently have, though I wouldn't find a problem using it for home projects.
Doug
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

why cant you get the Owens Corning CDB 200?
Do you have to order a whole bunk or what?
sammer

Post by sammer »

A quick google search turned up this.
http://www.fiberglassindustries.com/warp-triax.htm

Is this what your looking for?

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

I think to get direct from OC if they still even make it, you have to buy an entire "pallet", which I think is 4-5 x 50" full rolls. Each roll is about 250-300 lbs.
Doug
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

knightsofnii wrote:I think to get direct from OC if they still even make it, you have to buy an entire "pallet", which I think is 4-5 x 50" full rolls. Each roll is about 250-300 lbs.
Whats the cost for a Pallet?

I've been using the 20oz triax from Fiberglass supply and I really like it.

I'm about to order a roll of the 20oz in the next week or so. Hows the OC compare to the fiberglass supply stuff aside from strand thickness/layup. Hows the stiffness compare?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

amidnightproject wrote:
Gotta be at least 5K.
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

MontuckyMadman wrote:
amidnightproject wrote:
Gotta be at least 5K.
Dang.

I know a roll of the 20oz triax from Fiberglass Supply is $843.75.

the 22oz triax is $779.70. Without shipping/freight costs of course.

I was planning a roll of the 20oz triax. I'm not to keen on the 50" widths but Cutting isn't a huge deal with some EC cutters.